Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Rollin' Stones
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, remember a while back when I posted about the Nat'l champ kit Vino was wearing? Folks really sort of spoke up about how gaudy and ugly it was. Now it looks like that's the color scheme the whole ex-Liberty Seguros team might be wearing. Man, I can't wait! Every city will have at least one person wearing it once WCP gets a hold of it! I'm laughin' like Nelson Muntz at the haters, HA HA! :) :)

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Yeah...

cydswipe said:
Hey, remember a while back when I posted about the Nat'l champ kit Vino was wearing? Folks really sort of spoke up about how gaudy and ugly it was. Now it looks like that's the color scheme the whole ex-Liberty Seguros team might be wearing. Man, I can't wait! Every city will have at least one person wearing it once WCP gets a hold of it! I'm laughin' like Nelson Muntz at the haters, HA HA! :) :)
I doubt it.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
cydswipe said:
Dude - just because "everyone is going to wear it" doesn't make it one bit less gaudy.

And what if everyone decided to jump off a Brooklyn bridge? Would you jump too?

·
likes to eat donuts
893 Posts
Will they even start the Tour?

It's still one of the ugliest kits out there, that's for sure.
And I see that they (Team Astana-Wurth) have gone ahead and had the car painted, too.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/jun06/dauphinelibere06/index.php?id=/photos/2006/jun06/dauphinelibere06/dauphinelibere061/NewteamCarWurth

It does seem like a lot of extra work, though, as it looks like they'll probably have their Pro Tour licence rescinded, and subsequently be removed from the Tour's start list, if Jean Marie LeBlanc gets his way.

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,383 Posts
cydswipe said:
Nope everybody else is still in "liberty" blue. Vino switched to the regular liberty colors because his old kit had Liberty logos and the new stuff hadn't been finished yet. See pic of Vino with Kashechkin. I won't even comment on their choice of coffee friends. Dohhhhh.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Kazakhstan Blue

From Cyclingnews - http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jun06/jun05news2

"The Astana-Wurth team will ride in their new jerseys in the Tour de Suisse, which starts this Saturday, and Kazakhstan's blue colours will feature prominently."

Guess we will have to wait for the Tour de Suisse to see the new threads.

Dave

·
Registered
777 Posts
As with most colors of a nation, there are symbolic meanings. The blue represents the sky, which Kazakhstan has plenty of, and the golden sun represents the nation's "golden future" (hopefully Vino and the team can contribute).

Here are some more facts about Kazakhstan, courtesy of Cycle Sport issue April 2006:

1) The national population is just over 15 million.

2) it is the 9th largest country in the world, and borders China, Russia, and most of the
countries with the suffix meaning "land of the people" (----stan).

3) The country's ruler, President Nazarbayev, has plans for his daughter to succeed him.
She is an opera singer.

4) During a speech commerating the newly-built capital, Astana, the President's hat blew
off after he said gale-force winds were not a problem.

5) Polygamy is illegal. Sorry Mormons.

6) Eating horse flesh is popular, and Vino was reportedly to have been given hundreds of
pounds of the national delicacy. Hunting with eagles is also popular.

7) The nation's main export is oil. It already has the world's largest ice rink.

8) Bars normally sell two tpyes of traditional alcohol: fermented camel's milk (kumyran) or
fermented mare's milk (kumiss). Shots anyone?

9) Don't take your camel to Kazakhstan because camel spiders will rape it from inside out.

I think Astana-Wurth is basically "Team Kazakhstan"...

...yah, so let's remember that when people diss the "gaudy" and "ugly" colors of Astana-Wurth and Vino, they're dissing the national colors of Kazakhstan.

Speaking of which, those red, white, and blue Stars and Stripes of Toyota-US Pro team is pretty ugly and gaudy too.

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,383 Posts
wzq622 said:
Speaking of which, those red, white, and blue Stars and Stripes of Toyota-US Pro team is pretty ugly and gaudy too.
Which raises a question, Toyota United almost had there jersey design rejected for looking too much like the US national jersey. Soooo, wouldn't an Astana/Wurth jersey using the Kazak national colors look too much like the national jersey for the UCI's liking? How would they distinguish between Vino's national champs kit and the regualr team stuff?

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
maybe it's just me, but...

...i like the colors. go ahead, hate me, but i love the light blue and contrasting canary yellow. it stands out, and that is what sponsors want. granted, they are basically sponsored by the nation now, but i dont see anything wrong with that.

then again, i am pushing ford GT blue&orange as the new pink...

and yeah, i did laugh at "who" was sitting around drinking coffee. just imagine what they were/were not saying...

and one more thing, if vino gets tagged for illegal substances (i hope not. i want him to shock le tour this year. would make a great movie), do you think he will blame the horse meat he consumed had residual steroids?

·
Registered
777 Posts
OnTheRivet said:
Which raises a question, Toyota United almost had there jersey design rejected for looking too much like the US national jersey. Soooo, wouldn't an Astana/Wurth jersey using the Kazak national colors look too much like the national jersey for the UCI's liking? How would they distinguish between Vino's national champs kit and the regualr team stuff?

maybe everyone is a champ when they're promoting the country to the world...?

or maybe only their Kazakh riders will sport the new colors (Vino, Kashechkin, Yakovlev, and Bazayes)?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I personally think it's kinda cool for the entire country (not a well known country I might say), to feel so much personal pride that they decide to sponsor a team.

I also like Wurth guys - Contador, Kashechkin, Vino, Jaksch - leaving doping aside, the team has some attacking spirit, unlike most other teams.

But the kit is terrible. Blue and yellow would have been just fine. But "teal"? I dare you to come out to your group ride dressed like this.

·
Registered
139 Posts
yah, so let's remember that when people diss the "gaudy" and "ugly" colors of Astana-Wurth and Vino, they're dissing the national colors of Kazakhstan.

I like the info on the Kazaks but why spoil all that by stooping down a level and criticizing our countries colors?? Wasnt that the point of your argument.

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,383 Posts
55x11 said:
I personally think it's kinda cool for the entire country (not a well known country I might say), to feel so much personal pride that they decide to sponsor a team.

I also like Wurth guys - Contador, Kashechkin, Vino, Jaksch - leaving doping aside, the team has some attacking spirit, unlike most other teams.

But the kit is terrible. Blue and yellow would have been just fine. But "teal"? I dare you to come out to your group ride dressed like this.
Man, you must not have been following pro racing for very long. Hidious team colors have been a staple of bike racing through the years. I personally find the Kazakhstan colors pretty cool, they just need a dark border color between the teal and yellow on the kit to keep the light colors from washing out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.