Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to me now after being away for 14 years. I don't know if it's the quill or the seat that throws me off. I remember lusting after bikes in "Bicyling", "Bicycle Guide" and a few other's 30+ years ago.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
to me, vintage bikes are like vintage cars ('69 porsche 911), and modern bikes remind of modern nascar.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
to me, vintage bikes are like vintage cars ('69 porsche 911), and modern bikes remind of modern nascar.
Yeah, with nothing in them. Back in '94, a friend and I drove down to Anaheim in mid-60's VW Bug. 60 hp and no reclineable seats. You can keep the past.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
Yeah, with nothing in them.Back in '94, a friend and I drove down to Anaheim in mid-60's VW Bug. 60 hp and no reclineable seats. You can keep the past.

Thing is the past had some really brilliant engineering it would be nice to keep.

Things like 68mm BSA bottom brackets that always worked....as opposed to the creak prone farce of pressfit today. Things like wider tire clearances, that are finally making a comeback after a decade+ of ninnyism. Rack and fender mounts were practically extinct for a long while-and are now making a comeback. Triple cranksets, lovely things for tourists and climbers-that dumb dumbs have gotten rid of today.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
first car was a '60s camaro. last car was a porsche 968. i much preferred the one with less horsepower.

i do! and ride it hard, too!
Never drove old cars.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,285 Posts
What can I tell ya? I got my first "ten speed bike" in the late 1960's. I got my latest one a couple years ago. Anyway, there were some ugly bicycles back then. There were some terrible brazes and welds. Out of kilter, hard-on-the-eye angles. Rock hard rides.

Agreed, there are some ugly bicycles out right now, but every time I switch between my early '80's steel/five speed Campy Nuovo Record Somec and my current eleven speed Campy Chorus-ed, CF fibered curved tube swoop-fest it doesn't take more than three pedal strokes to appreciate how profoundly better the new bicycle is. Is the old bicycle prettier? Perhaps. But then again, my Bianchi Infinito isn't even the prettiest bicycle in the Bianchi line-up.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,426 Posts
Yeah, with nothing in them. Back in '94, a friend and I drove down to Anaheim in mid-60's VW Bug. 60 hp and no reclineable seats. You can keep the past.
Hey, my 1966 Beetle had seats that reclined.

Yeah, some less-collectible bikes did look clunky. Also, overly-ornate lugs always seemed a bit silly to me.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Eye of the beholder I suppose

I like the look of the classics better. Watching the TdF today - sloping geometry, big head tube, beefy BB shell, threadless stem - just does not appeal to me.

The Colnago EPS below is a great bike, but the others appeal to me more visually. And the Eddy Merckx will go down hill (not uphill though ha ha) just as fast, if not faster than the EPS.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I ride friction 6, and Ergo 10 roadies.
Personally, I prefer the classic styling of a level (or nearly level) top tube, even if on my Ti or CF bikes.

Steel is just fine for my cycling needs.
Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle fork Bicycle wheel
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle handlebar
Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle fork Bicycle wheel rim

I don't want my vintage cars again. My '62 MiniCooper, with 800cc engine, sliding (not roll-up) windows, and lack of a heater might have been classic but it was not particularly desirable (IMHO). Imported to USA from Bermuda.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Oooh, nice! C Record on the De Rosa? I'm getting one together now; I want to index the shifting but don't have the adjuster for the 1st gen RD, so brainstorming that one right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ride friction 6, and Ergo 10 roadies.
Personally, I prefer the classic styling of a level (or nearly level) top tube, even if on my Ti or CF bikes.

Steel is just fine for my cycling needs.
View attachment 319882
View attachment 319883
View attachment 319884

I don't want my vintage cars again. My '62 MiniCooper, with 800cc engine, sliding (not roll-up) windows, and lack of a heater might have been classic but it was not particularly desirable (IMHO). Imported to USA from Bermuda.
I'm originally from England and saw these all the time and didn't know they had no heat... but then, I was only 10.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,285 Posts
I look at the steelies featured in this thread and it makes me wonder how tall the owners are and how much they weigh. The way I see it, if you guys are large, the percentage weight difference between you and a bicycle would be significantly larger than the percentage it would be for me, a smaller than average guy. You'd notice a weight difference far less.

Putting it another way, I honestly feel a one pound/half kg difference. For me, a four pound/2kg difference, such as one between a decent 52cm classic steelie and a super-svelte CF bicycle (20lbs vs. 16 lbs), is a killer.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
My bikes are 56 and 57 cm and I weigh 165.

Typical weight on my steel bikes is 21.5 lbs, the Colnago Super is 22 and change. My heaviest is my Bianchi at 24 lbs. The Colnago EPS is a little under 16 lbs. No doubt the EPS is a faster bike, especially with all the climbing I have to do in my locale. I don't worry about the weight most of the time and if I was a flatlander I wouldn't worry about it at all. I think I enjoy the steel bikes as much, probably more than the EPS.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,285 Posts
htfu?

me too.
I ride to enjoy myself. Not to punish myself or to prove my machismo. Of course, sometimes I wind up in a world of pain anyway, but that's one of the hazards of the sport.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts