Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anything special about the brake cables that would be used for Deltas? Is the end that goes in the lever anything special?

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Not in my case, I just used standard cable.

My only tip when cabling deltas is to leave lots of cable to grab while making adjustments to get the length right. Only when everything is set up nicely and you've tightened the pinch bolt for the last time, then cut the cable.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. My question is, is the end that goes into the brake lever any different than todays cable?

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
No, it's the same

·
Registered
574 Posts
Tip:
If you think you might ever want to undo and reattach the cables for Delta brakes, be sure to solder the inner cable in the area where it will ultimately be cut. Otherwise, since you have to cut the cable so close to the binding bolt, it frays and is almost impossible to reinstall the used cable. With soldered cable ends, I've had no trouble reattaching cables on Deltas.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Tip:
If you think you might ever want to undo and reattach the cables for Delta brakes, be sure to solder the inner cable in the area where it will ultimately be cut. Otherwise, since you have to cut the cable so close to the binding bolt, it frays and is almost impossible to reinstall the used cable. With soldered cable ends, I've had no trouble reattaching cables on Deltas.
Oh boy, you must be an expert solderer. I tried soldering cable ends for about 2 days once and could only get one out of about 5 or 6 done right.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Oh boy, you must be an expert solderer. I tried soldering cable ends for about 2 days once and could only get one out of about 5 or 6 done right.
I read about this once probably before campyonly exploded and died. Campy cable was said to be be so impregnated with secret lubricant that it was impossible to solder.

I don't know as I never tried.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I can't speak to more current Campy cables, as in the last 20 years I've used cable crimps exclusively. However, back in the days of Deltas where the end I far too short to crimp, I routinely soldered Campy brake cables. Up to that point, I usually soldered all cables (rather than using crimps). You're correct, Campy cables don't solder very easily, but it was definitely doable. Clean the area thoroughly with steel wool. It's easiest with solder containing lead, but I don't think such solder has been sold in 20 or years. Otherwise a flux or rosin core solder helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts