Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace the chainrings (54/42) on my late 70's Campy Super Record crank. Does Campy have smaller chainrings for their vintage SR crank ... preferably 50/39?

Thanks

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I don't think so.
Back in those days it was 42/52 or 42/53 and for the men 42/54 - WOW!
I have a stack of Campy road rings and not one is smaller than 42.
I could be wrong.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My ego certainly have gotten to me with the 54 chainring back in those days. I've gotten used to the 39 T that came with my Chorus crank on my newer bike. I'm hoping to emulate the setup with newer drivetrain.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,433 Posts
rlim said:
I'm looking to replace the chainrings (54/42) on my late 70's Campy Super Record crank. Does Campy have smaller chainrings for their vintage SR crank ... preferably 50/39?

Thanks
The early 70's record crank had a larger BC that could only go as small as a 44.

·
24,433 Posts
Squidward said:
I thought those older Super Record cranks had a 144 BCD which has a smallest chainring size of 42T?

I'm not talking about the "old" record. I'm talking about the "old-old" record. 151mm BCD. Not 70's, but 60's.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Uncle Grumpy said:
42 is the smallest for a 144bcd crank.

Get a cassette with a 27. A 42/27 is close to a 39/25. Or harden up and grow some huge thighs. :)

Grumps
I have a Nashbar 13-24 freewheel which may be pushing beyond the range the SR derailleur can support.... then again I may be wrong. My original Regina CX/S came with 11-19 ratio.

It would be easier growing those those thunder thighs when I'm was in my 20s. Nowadays, I'm more of a recreational cyclist who spins rather than exerting lots of pedal force.

It makes me wonder back in the 70s/80's when roadies are limited to using higher crank and freewheel ratio .... they must have been tough atheletes with hugh thunder thighs :D

·
Registered
27,481 Posts
144 was standard since Nuovo Record.

Squidward said:
I thought those older Super Record cranks had a 144 BCD which has a smallest chainring size of 42T?
Seem to remember Campy had a track crank that had a larger bolt diameter, though.

To OP: don't worry. Nothing wrong with 42-26 on a light racing setup. 39s are for wimps. They're too small and the jump up to the 52 or 53 is too far. 50 tooth outer rings are available, if you want to go compact.

Sugino also used 144 BCD, some of which occassionally come up on the net. I have a 43 on my commuter with 13-28 in back. Never a problem, even with 28C tires, fenders and, a backpack full of stuff. Once in awhile, ya just gotta be patient. :biggrin5: Bigger rings give you a little more kick. Eddy was fond of his 44t in the mountain stages. Hinault used a 55 only in time trialing. I went up Mt. Wilson on a 22 pound racing bike with a 44-22 lowest gear, 22 miles up 4500 ft., and made it. They just force you into a slightly slower rhythm.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
I'm not talking about the "old" record. I'm talking about the "old-old" record. 151mm BCD. Not 70's, but 60's.
OIC, thanks for the clarification. I was born in the '60s and don't remember anything from that time frame so I wouldn't know what the BCD of a set of Campy cranks from that era would be. :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Nobody remembers the 60's.

I have a Campy SR crankset from 1982. It's 42 - 52T. Coupled with a 12 - 25T Miche 8spd. cassette. That's plenty of gears, and I almost never use the 25T. Plenty of hills here, but I've found they don't present much of a problem for me - and I'm not a full-on athlete by any stretch.

If I lived in the Rockies, I might change my tune. But I'll never part with my Campy SR cranks. Not gonna happen.

·
24,433 Posts
"But I'll never part with my Campy SR cranks."

Not until the drive side arm busts off when you're really pushing hard.
I've must have seen 10 of those busted ones, back in the day. Campy seems to have solved the problem when they changed over to C-Record back in the late 80's.

·
Registered
27,481 Posts
AW, why'd ya hafta say that?

MR_GRUMPY said:
"But I'll never part with my Campy SR cranks."

Not until the drive side arm busts off when you're really pushing hard.
I've must have seen 10 of those busted ones, back in the day. Campy seems to have solved the problem when they changed over to C-Record back in the late 80's.
I saw some pictures of one: hairline cracks in the tight bend on the inside of the crank arm where it joins the spider. I inspect mine every several years. I'm just hoping when they finally go, I'll be able to feel the arm coming loose before it separates. :eek6:

25 years and counting. 65,000 miles. Maybe this was an occassional problem with the casting procedure during manufacturing. I've always liked their classic form-follows-function look.

http://www.raydobbins.com/medici/photos/photo45.html

·
Registered
21,666 Posts
Knowing your stuff

rlim said:
I have a Nashbar 13-24 freewheel which may be pushing beyond the range the SR derailleur can support.... then again I may be wrong. My original Regina CX/S came with 11-19 ratio.
As others have noted, you can't go smaller than 42 with that crankset, but you may be able to find all kinds of sizes of big rings. On those cranks, the only difference between the big ring and the small ring was that outer rings had the "chain catcher" peg on them.

Your RD will easily take a 28t large cog, and probably a 30 if you need it. The specified range on Nuovo Record was 13-30t, and Super Record was the same mechanism.

rlim said:
IIt makes me wonder back in the 70s/80's when roadies are limited to using higher crank and freewheel ratio .... they must have been tough atheletes with hugh thunder thighs :D
If you look at old racing footage of people climbing hills, you'll see that they used VERY low cadence. That was because they had to, due to the lack of low gears.

·
24,433 Posts
You should inspect it every several "days"

·
Registered
316 Posts
Henry Chinaski said:
I seem to recall that someone (maybe Avocet/Ofmega) made a 41 that would work.
According to the 1982-83 Palo Alto Bicycles catalog, per p. 8, Avocet chainwheels were available in 41 to 54 teeth, which fit either inner or outer positions on a double crankset (or middle and outer positions on a triple), and per p.11, have a bolt hole distance of 89.0 mm, and so are interchangeable with Campagnolo Record and Super Record.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
HammerTime-TheOriginal said:
According to the 1982-83 Palo Alto Bicycles catalog, per p. 8, Avocet chainwheels were available in 41 to 54 teeth, which fit either inner or outer positions on a double crankset (or middle and outer positions on a triple), and per p.11, have a bolt hole distance of 89.0 mm, and so are interchangeable with Campagnolo Record and Super Record.
I think there are lots of Companies making 144-BCD Chainrings in 39 - 54, just not Campy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.