Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After riding the same bike (off and on) since 1986, I finally bought a new bike this year. I love it and it has really sparked the feelings I had 20 years ago about riding.

However, I'm not sure I want to get rid of the old Cannondale. And I thought I would ask for advice from people with more experience at this.

The Dale is a 1985 SR300, black. Probably a 56cm. Mostly Suntour Cyclone components, all original. I recently replaced the cables, chain and had a tune-up. Tires are new also.

Is this bike worth anything? Should I keep it for old times sake? What are your experiences.?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
It's always good to have a second bike. And a third. For me a fourth.

Then there are guys like Toomanybikes and Dave Hickey who are beyond the pale.

If you like how it fits and rides, and Suntour Cyclone is pretty nice stuff, and it sounds like it's in good shape - keep it. You'll never get what it's really worth.

·
Unlabeled
3,729 Posts
LoupyLouie said:
After riding the same bike (off and on) since 1986, I finally bought a new bike this year. I love it and it has really sparked the feelings I had 20 years ago about riding.

However, I'm not sure I want to get rid of the old Cannondale. And I thought I would ask for advice from people with more experience at this.

The Dale is a 1985 SR300, black. Probably a 56cm. Mostly Suntour Cyclone components, all original. I recently replaced the cables, chain and had a tune-up. Tires are new also.

Is this bike worth anything? Should I keep it for old times sake? What are your experiences.?
I very much regret selling my first nice bikel

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
vintage cannondale? :idea:make a fixie out of it...it isn't worth selling IMO.

·
Lexicon Devil
964 Posts
Don't make a fixed-gear out of it, because it's likely to have vertical dropouts, which can be a PITA to use as a fixed-gear.

Keep it to use as a rain bike or for something to ride when you want to play with downtube shifters (which is almost always for me.)

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
curlybike said:
Keep it and ride it forever. Enjoy it as that is what is most useful for at this time.
Yes, keep it! I sold my 87 3.0 Crit Cannondale 5 years ago to someone down the road a piece who doesn't ride it, but refuses to sell it back to me. Just before going to sleep almost every night, I fantasize about breaking into his house and stealing it.

·
Bike Dude
993 Posts
I agree with most of what everyone has to say, except the stealing part. Don't steal, liberate! Get yourself a measuring tape (metric) and measure that toptube, know what size it is and know what size you ride. If it's too small then dump it or reach out to Mr. Hickey.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Old Cannondale

I am in almost the same plight. I have an old r400 and got a new bike last year. I have opted to keep the Dale and ride it in the winter and on bad weather days. It is fun to change it up every once in a while.

KEEP IT, you'll be glad you did. Someday I would love to have 1/2 as many beautiful bikes as Mr. Hickey!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Doctor Who said:
Don't make a fixed-gear out of it, because it's likely to have vertical dropouts, which can be a PITA to use as a fixed-gear.

Keep it to use as a rain bike or for something to ride when you want to play with downtube shifters (which is almost always for me.)
You can make it a fixie, get an eccentric hub.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/white-hubs.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.