Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
On a different mission...
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a vintage Dura-Ace(circa 1993 FD-7403F) front derailleur being sent to me, by a friend. Will this work with my current Sora/Tiagra gruppo? Better yet- will it work with the DA-7700 gruppo I plan on getting? The bike is a 2009 CAAD9 7.

·
If I only knew...
91 Posts
Is it a braze-on FD. Because if not then it won't fit your CAAD9, as Shimnao did not make a 34.9 clamp for that model year and that is the diameter the CAAD9 takes.

·
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it has the 31.8mm braze on adapter. The pic looks like there is a long bolt that goes straight through the front of the FD. Where can I get a 34.9 clamp? Or, can I just use a longer clamp bolt?

·
If I only knew...
91 Posts
You can pick up a 34.9 braze-on adapter at just about any bike shop. A longer bolt won't do anything, that just attaches the FD to the adapter you need the 34.9 adapter to fit around the CAAD9 seattube.

·
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
coasterbrake said:
You can pick up a 34.9 braze-on adapter at just about any bike shop. A longer bolt won't do anything, that just attaches the FD to the adapter you need the 34.9 adapter to fit around the CAAD9 seattube.

Thank you very much. Will this 8-speed part work with a compact double(50/39) and 9-speed?

·
If I only knew...
91 Posts
An 8-speed FD is a little wider in the cage than a 9-speed but it should work fine. I have use a 9-speed on a 10-speed drivetrain before with no problems and a 10-speed FD is narrower than a 9. So it should work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts