Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started poking around for a vintage moto to putt around town on. So far I've been leaning towards enduros, definitely don't want a rocket/sport bike for My First Motorcycle. :eek:

Uses would be errands, visiting friends, etc. No freeways for now, and I still need to get trained & licensed first. That said, the bike needs to have a certain style factor (natch') and not be a mechanical nightmare.

There's been some nice ones on Craigslist and there are a few shops in town that specialize in older bikes.

Anything to avoid like the <del>Trek</del> plague? Ones to look for? 2 stroke vs 4? I don't know squat about motos. Yet.

Here's a very clean 1970 CT-175 from Craigslist. Guy wants a grand for it, which is probably in the price range I'm looking at.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
You'll put your eye out!

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Hollywood said:
can I wear pink lycra on those?
It's a requirement. That or the tweed..

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Aww. I learned to ride on the CT175's little brother, a DT100. I have had a lot of Yamaha two-strokes, vintage and modern, since.

The CT/DT175 is not a very practical bike. It'll have a lot of issues as it's a 35 year old bike. Even with all it's maintenance problem solved you'll be on 40 year old technology. The brakes will suck and so will the suspension. It will vibrate like crazy and make a lot of noise. You'll need to treat the motor well or it'll seize on you. Two strokes are simple but intolerant of neglect.

I suggest that after you pass your MSF course or whatever it is in your state, you buy a nice used Ninja 250. It'll be much more reliable than an old bike, will handle better and will be fast enough to ride on the freeway, which you will inevitably want to do.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Nuff said. :cool:

·
Bibo Ergo Sum
1,400 Posts
You probably want to avoid a two-stroke. While I'm a fan of them they would be more of a pain to deal with for a daily driver, particularly if you get one that doesn't have oil-injection. I agree that a 40 year old bike likely will be more trouble than you imagine. Remember that bikes, especially dirt or dual-purpose bikes, spend a lot more time sitting than a car of the same age.

I'd probably try to find a nice used XT250 or 500, though the latter may be a bit big for a first bike. The Ninja 250 really isn't a bad recommendation. While it looks like a sport bike it's not overloaded with power like a 600.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
That harley is SICK!

You might consider a super moto style honda XR. Only it would be a little work and would have to be registered.

I truly believe everyones first motorcycle should be a dirt bike, but dual purpose bikes are low on style and functionality. Not exactly what you are looking for.

Check out an old honda dream. Parts are around and it might fit the bill.

·
Registered
58 Posts
ericm979 said:
Aww. I learned to ride on the CT175's little brother, a DT100. I have had a lot of Yamaha two-strokes, vintage and modern, since.

The CT/DT175 is not a very practical bike. It'll have a lot of issues as it's a 35 year old bike. Even with all it's maintenance problem solved you'll be on 40 year old technology. The brakes will suck and so will the suspension. It will vibrate like crazy and make a lot of noise. You'll need to treat the motor well or it'll seize on you. Two strokes are simple but intolerant of neglect.

I suggest that after you pass your MSF course or whatever it is in your state, you buy a nice used Ninja 250. It'll be much more reliable than an old bike, will handle better and will be fast enough to ride on the freeway, which you will inevitably want to do.
Agree with most of the above. A two-stroke of that vintage, in present time isn't very practical. The brakes, lighting and comfort are not all that good. Trying to find any replacement parts (ex. cables, brake shoes, etc) could be very hard to find.

Plus the fact, unless you weigh 125 pounds, this bike isn't going to get you up to speed very quickly. There will be times when you will need it.

Highly recommend the safety course. After that, I would look for a late 70's to mid 80's, 500 to 750, twin cylinder to four, air or water cooled. In your price range there should be numerous Honda CB's, maybe a Sabre or Magna, Yamaha Maxim or Specials.

That's all!

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
how about a Yamaha RZ-350.

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
The thought of you riding around here is frightening to me. This is a horrible area to learn how to ride.

But if I were to get another bike, I'd eschew the sportbike and get something like the new Bonneville. Sweet sixties cafe style with updated rubber, brakes and other mechanical bits. Plus it, apparently, comes with hot blondes.

·
Bibo Ergo Sum
1,400 Posts
Andy69 said:
how about a Yamaha RZ-350.
Please let me know where I can buy one for $1k....I'll even give you a finder's fee. :) That's definitely not a beginners bike.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
+1 on the Triumph

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
PRB said:
Please let me know where I can buy one for $1k....I'll even give you a finder's fee. :) That's definitely not a beginners bike.
It's only 350 ccs, what are you some kind of *****? :)

It's also an 80s Yamaha. I had an 80s Yamaha. I spent as much time working on it as riding it.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, it's a beautiful bike. It's pretty mild mannered until you twist the throttle like you mean it. Then, it will do a wheelie at 30 mph.

·
Bibo Ergo Sum
1,400 Posts
Andy69 said:
It's only 350 ccs, what are you some kind of *****? :)

It's also an 80s Yamaha. I had an 80s Yamaha. I spent as much time working on it as riding it.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, it's a beautiful bike. It's pretty mild mannered until you twist the throttle like you mean it. Then, it will do a wheelie at 30 mph.
My first street bike was a '75 RD350 (after several years in the dirt on Hodakas and Bultacos). It was stock when I bought it but didn't stay that way long....expansion chambers, porting, jetting, etc. I'd love to have a nice RZ350 or better yet a RZ500.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts