Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a mountain biker, but I'm looking to get a road bike, or a hybrid that leans more on the roadie side. I want it for commuting, and not-too-intense weekend riding.

I'd love to get something with a vintage look, but I want a new bike. I've seen a lot of cool vintage-style bikes, but they all see to be fixies, and that's not what I want.

Can anyone recommend a bike? Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm a mountain biker, but I'm looking to get a road bike, or a hybrid that leans more on the roadie side. I want it for commuting, and not-too-intense weekend riding.

I'd love to get something with a vintage look, but I want a new bike. I've seen a lot of cool vintage-style bikes, but they all see to be fixies, and that's not what I want.

Can anyone recommend a bike? Thanks!
For some inexpensive vintage style frames you can build up to a stylish and fun riding commuter, the first option that comes to mind is a steel frame from Soma. They also make various handlebars.

I recently just got an All City Space Horse frame to build up as a tourer, and I'm really impressed with the finish and some of the details. Any bike shop that uses QBP as distributor - and nearly all do - can order you a frame.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking at around $900. I'd prefer new, because I've had a really hard time finding used bikes that fit me - my city must be full of tiny people.

Vintage and Hybrid don't really go together in my mind. Let us know more of what your price range looks like. Here is something from Raleigh that may be of interest:
Raleigh Port Townsend Bike Review | Bicycling Magazine
Also, why new, if you want an older styled bike, 80's era lugged steel bikes pop up all the time, they don't cost much.

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you are about 6'6' this one might work: Very RARE Vintage Raleigh 26" Frame Campagnolo 10 Speed Chrome Racing Bike | eBay

How did you like the Port Townsend I suggested? Have you looked at Pake? I have a C-Mute I built for town riding a while ago. The frames are pretty cheap, even so it's tough to build up your own bike for 900 if everything is new. Also, I have posted an old Raleigh that I keep at my parents house to ride when I visit, it was free (with a little work and a few bucks for a couple of old parts.)

View attachment 280046
View attachment 280047

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.