Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a vintage Suntour Perfect 5-Speed Freewheel that I wish to restore. The sprockets are getting a bit worn and beginning to skip even after having meticulously replaced the chain when "stretch" becomes a concern (.5% stretch).

Might any of you know of a supplier who can offer sprockets (mine are a bronzish color) so that I can replace the ones currently in use? The middle, 17-tooth sprocket, the one most frequently used, is the most problematic. The freewheel body itself is fine with the bearings spinning smoothly and properly functioning.

I love this freewheel (14x21) and would like to continue using it.

Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mike

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
freewheels are the only thing i've never fully overhauled. good for you to refurbish yours.

i have a couple i wish i could use. one 6-speed is really nice, but it's a weird 16-22 progression. another skips on a middle cog like yours. i've just been replacing them with offerings from sunrace or ird.

lots of donor bikes out there on craigs to pick from.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,426 Posts
I have a TON of old 5-6 speed freewheel cogs in my basement (bought a large boxfull from an older member of my bike club 15+ years ago). If you can post a pic of the cog (so I can check it to the cutout), and a diameter of the inner cutout, I'll see if I have something available.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, so much enthusiasm for the vintage stuff. Good to see! Toulouse, I appreciate the interest. It's gonna be a while until I get this thing apart, so please do not interpret any delays in getting back to you as a lack of interest or appreciation.

Z'mer, I have already e-mailed Yellow Jersey and am awaiting a response.

I guess I could also look for a complete, NOS SunTour Perfect freewheel with a good 17-tooth sprocket and put it in place of the old one that seems to be skipping. We'll see.

OK, thanks again, y'all.

Mike

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,566 Posts
You might ask your lbs to try calling Euro Asia Imports in so-cal. They might have some...worth a try.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the lead - I've just sent an e-mail to Euro-Asia Imports to see if they have any suggestions. Yellow Jersey has cogs for around $30 a pop for anyone else with similar needs.

Mike

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
Yellow Jersey has cogs for around $30 a pop.
that's gettin' up there.

about the same as two new sunrace 6-speeds (delivered). or more than half the price of the nice, new 'classica' freewheels from IRD i use on my keepers. or about the same as a bunch of donor bikes on craigs.

·
Done
4,509 Posts
Loose Screws has some Winner cogs for sale - don't know if they work with the Perfect freewheel body. If they do interchange, it might be an option to salvage the unit - if the cogs that you are replacing are on the inside, you might not notice the color difference as much, especially with a freewheel that is near to being a straight bloc.

On old bikes that I ride a lot, I've taken to removing the older "consumable" parts that are getting difficult or expensive to source and substituting modern pieces. Freewheels are one of those items. I've had decent luck with the IRD freewheels. They are basically Shimano 600 copies. Okay quality, functionally fine. The earlier versions tended to be short lived (pawls). IRD definitely doesn't carry a 14x21.

EDIT:

As always, Sheldon Brown had it covered. A nice article on what swaps with what in SunTour freewheel land...

SunTour Perfect, Pro Compe and New Winner Freewheels

Traditional Thread-on Freewheels

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts