Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21,526 Posts
You'll need a lot more pictures of better quality and closer up. Cranks, brakes, rear hub, etc. Most likely it is a very pedestrian commuter bike and worth very little, but only with a lot of detail will anyone be able to figure that out.

·
Registered
27,386 Posts
Anyone have any idea as to what year this bike was made by Triumph. Also looking to find out what it is worth.
Made sometime between 1960 and 1980, looking at the parts and graphics.

Nice, generously spoked "gravel" wheels, but only one speed! Put the appropriate gear on it and it would serve as a beater, errand, short distance commuter bike. Fenders make the bike user friendly when the road gets wet. If it's over 25#, it's high tensile steel. The tubes are nice and skinny like the latest trend in expensive race bikes. Skinny tubes absorb shocks much nicer than thicker tubes. You'll probably find the ride comfortable.

If you pay over $100 for it, you're doing the seller a favor! The name was a marketing gimmick. I can guarantee this bike was not manufactured by Triumph motorcycles, rather subcontracted to a bike factory, probably Taiwanese.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,240 Posts
More than likely, it was just one of a whole bunch of different brands which Raleigh made in their old Nottingham factory, this one looking like it was from the 1970's. I assume it has a Sturmey-Archer single-speed hub with a pedal brake, which would make it likely a low-cost model. The cottored cranks and the cheap mattress saddle are consistent with this. The large frame might be a problem for fitting to 'ordinary sized' people. My guess is about $70, if it's in good working order. Old single-speeds don't bring much money....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts