Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2003 5200 USPS Trek, Ultegra
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have three sets of wheels to choose from, (deciding which to use for my Vintage Road Bike build)
All are 700-23c

1991 Mavic MA40 (Yellow and green label).
1999 ROLF Vector's
2003 Bontrager RACE LITE's

In your opinion which set would you feel is the best overall in Quality, ride and durability?
Not as worried about weight.
Thank you in advance,

Bicycle Bicycle frame Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim

Tony

·
Registered
285 Posts
I think the problem with the Rolf & Bontrager wheels was that they were cutting edge at the time in terms of design & thinking but the materials & tech were not at the same level yet & contributed to their demise. I recall having a set of Ritchey wheels from that time period & they were just crap. How much you weigh, the type of riding that you do & your style of riding will better guide your decision process. Because rider weight will definitely have a bearing on the durability of those 2 wheelsets.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,583 Posts
I would immediately cross off those Rolf and Bontrager wheels if they are the ones with the paired spoke design. That was a horrible design which was prone to spoke hole cracking.

Reactions: 2003 USPS Ultegra

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,583 Posts
The MA40 rims are top end and depending on the hub set they are paired with will likely make the best wheelset.
Of those three, this is the one I would go with. The old Mavic stuff is good. The newer stuff I wouldn't touch.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How much you weigh, the type of riding that you do & your style of riding will better guide your decision process. Because rider weight will definitely have a bearing on the durability of those 2 wheelsets.
170 LBS, 5' 8" 67 years old (more vintage than the bike), 10 miles a day, good roads, flat roads, 16-20 MPH

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
What frame are you building up?
Thought it might be a Nishiki, (much like an Iron Man Centurion).
Have not been able to nail the frame to a Manufacturer.
S/N starts with an N3A66 and has two more digits
Tubing is lugged, narrow and iron.
Seem to remember it being a Bob Jackson, but the S/N is throwing me a curve.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts