Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen/heard/ridden Vision Metron 40mm clinchers? I ask because I recently ordered a 2014 Cannondale Synapse Hi-Mod DA, which is specced with these wheels. (This is my mid-life-crisis, turning-40 gift to myself) I've seen a couple of reviews, and I guess some pro named Sagan rides on them. But I can't find them for sale anywhere and FSA won't tell me the retail price.

I ask because if they're selling for some outrageous amount ($2000?) I might just sell them and build a new set for myself (I have some spare wheel parts laying around I could use). But hey, if they're decent hoops, look cool, and match the bike, maybe I'll just keep them.

Anyone know what these things retail for? Think they're worth it?

·
irony intended
772 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow - I did some Googling but didn't see them at Uptown. Wow - that's a lot of dough. It is tempting to unload them right away and just build something up some 23mm wide alloy clinchers. But they do look nice. I guess I'll see how my wallet is feeling when the bike finally gets here (I'm being told about a week).

·
δanned
7,006 Posts
Wow - I did some Googling but didn't see them at Uptown. Wow - that's a lot of dough. It is tempting to unload them right away and just build something up some 23mm wide alloy clinchers. But they do look nice. I guess I'll see how my wallet is feeling when the bike finally gets here (I'm being told about a week).
$2k for 1195g clinchers is pretty good in my book, though I'm not sure about the 18/21 spoke configuration. That's just abnormal to me.

·
irony intended
772 Posts
heck...if you take em off without riding them...I'll give you $1500 if you throw in the tires...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Wow, 1610 grams with tape? These wheels have gone from ultralight to actually kind of heavy. I can build up a set of 20/24 45mm Gigantex carbon clinchers for around 1530g with Veloplugs. I have no idea where Vision rims are made, but probably China, possibly Taiwan. I can't imagine they're any better than Gigantex. Or I could use Pacentis and save another 100 grams.

My 2014 Synapse should be arriving sometime next week. It's going to be really tempting to just sell these off as new and build something lighter at a fraction of the cost - almost like a 25% discount on the bike.

The clinchers are definitely NOT 1195gm. I just got mine and they are 730gm + 880gm. Just rim tape.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've asked two dealers to order a 2014 Synapse and they say not shipping until September.

How did you get your?

·
Registered
204 Posts
The clinchers are definitely NOT 1195gm. I just got mine and they are 730gm + 880gm. Just rim tape.

Ummmm...what? I talked to Metron directly about 3 weeks ago. The Metron 40s, the newest that Cannondale are riding, aren't going to be released to the public until at least August they said.

So, you have a pair of these new wheels before the general public? Can you show pics please?

Also, as far as pricing, Metron hasn't released anything official yet except "in the ballpark of competing wheels."

Thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
trauma-md,

have you actually weighed the wheelset you are selling?

If they are the 2014 model per your listing, the should be lighter.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yeah those clincher weights are way off. :(
Found another site with info on these: New wind-tunnel-tuned wheels debut under Cannondale Pro Cycling team

Since you actually have the 40's, have you weighed them? In the review they state 1195 grams for the clinchers, which honestly seems a bit off skew to me. I mean, Hell.... if they truly are that light, and, they're backed by FSA (who I actually like).... there may not be much questioning which set of wheels I'm going to get next. LOL

But, I feel you.... hence, why I posted my findings. Oh, and they don't even post weight info on their page:
VISION BIKE COMPONENTS

If these turn out to be like 1600 grams (actually not bad for a carbon clincher), Enve's will continue to be in my daydreams... LOL:D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.