Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Vision Tech aero bars showed up in the mail yesterday, yippee!
Until I pulled them out of the box and realized there was no way they were going to work with my fork's steerer tube. I would need 35mm of spacers above the stem in order to be able to use this aero bar on my Cervelo Soloist. I was looking forward to setting up a dedicated TT cockpit with bar end shifters & brakes mounted and cabled--then being able to pull the road bar cockpit off and slap the Vision Tech cockpit on without having to adjust anything.
My question is, since the Vision Tech stem/steerer clamp area has three bolts, has anyone ever modified the clamping area? I could see having a machine shop cut the clamp area down by about 30mm, leaving two bolts. Obviously it would void the warranty but otherwise I'm looking at buying a new fork.
Any other suggestions?

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Mark McM said:
What's wrong with putting 35mm of spacers above the stem? Is your fork steerer just not long enough? Is it just an aesthetic issue?
I think the new stem is 35mm thicker than what is on there. He would have to have had another 35mm above the current stem to use the new one. Right?? - TF

· Registered
1,860 Posts
I think you're screwed then

crestlinefarm said:
Unfortunately I cut the steerer to work with my standard setup.
I would not recommend trying to cut down the steerer clamp on the integrated handlebars. The stem/steerer joint is under high multi-axis stresses, and bad things happen if this joint fails (see the thread on Hincapies stem/steerer failure at Paris-Roubaix).

It looks like you need a new fork if you want to use this integrated handlebar.

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lucky me...

I actually found an industry contact who's "in the know" about Vision Tech. According to them, the stem clamp can be cut down as long as I leave 2-bolts, but obviously it will void the warranty. There have even been some "pros" who have cut the Vision Tech clamp down to a single bolt!
Can't wait, now I just need to figure out how to cut it!

· LOOK lover
625 Posts
Uhh...

...maybe I'm missing the obvious, but why not just return the Vision Techs and get something that will fit your steering tube? There should be plenty of other choices out there. I can't see voiding a warranty and possibly risking a catastrophic failure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.