Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Pretty darned cool man. Still scary how the radiation levels are there after so long.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
looking at all the vegetation helps strengthen my stand against the "save the earth" campaigns. its not the earth they wanna save. its themselves.really, it should be "save the humans."

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
I saw a big documentary about Chernobyl last year on the History channel I think. Even with the tons of Concrete they poured in there the radiation is still present. It is amazing that they let people that close to it. I would be scared to death to get that close.

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
weltyed said:
looking at all the vegetation helps strengthen my stand against the "save the earth" campaigns. its not the earth they wanna save. its themselves.really, it should be "save the humans."
Could you expand on that?

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
My Own Private Idaho said:
I remember those, and these look eerily similar. I doubt the authenticity of these photos as well.
Why? Photos from the exclusion zone aren't all that special. It is a bit of a tourist attraction nowadays.

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
weltyed said:
Maybe George Carlin crystallized your thoughts best?

"We're so self-important. So arrogant. Everybody's going to save something now. Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save the snails. And the supreme arrogance? Save the planet! Are these people kidding? Save the planet? We don't even know how to take care of ourselves; we haven't learned how to care for one another. We're gonna save the ef'in' planet? . . . And, by the way, there's nothing wrong with the planet in the first place. The planet is fine. The people are ef'ed! Compared with the people, the planet is doin' great. It's been here over four billion years . . . The planet isn't goin' anywhere, folks. We are! We're goin' away. Pack your sh*t, we're goin' away. And we won't leave much of a trace. Thank God for that. Nothing left. Maybe a little Styrofoam. The planet will be here, and we'll be gone. Another failed mutation; another closed-end biological mistake."

Or, the complete stand up segment...

RIP, George. You really were the best!

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
So is it really that dangerous still? Seems like lots of tourists. And what do you do about your clothes if you can't so much as put a hat down? Do you have to throw out your shoes or does it wash out?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Before you get too excited about the radiation levels outside the sarcophogus, I would remind everyone that you get a bigger dose from a cardio stress test than what you would get tooling around the site for an afternoon.

I was so hot after after a stress test that, strictly speaking, I violated my University's rules for disposal when I went to the rest room. I could not even use my geiger counter as my personal radioactivity swamped any of the sources I have.

Dancer

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Might be a real set of pics - but I also recall the girl that took a motorcycle to Chernobyl and posted pix on several Motorcycle Forums. She was called out and cited as a fraud about 4-5 years ago. Some of these pix seem familiar, but others appear "new". As an engineer, I've always had an interest in Forensics of Engineering/Technical failures - and this has to be the biggest of all time!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.