Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
visiited my local LBS which apparently is highly viewed around here I found out. walked in and said i basically want to get into on road cycling for fitness, and a hobby, not looking for the coolest, fastest, most expensive anything. he asked me a few questions, and then my budget. said I'd like to get it right at 1,000 for the bike.

he showed me a specialized allez. it was 58cm and to small for me, think it was a mix of tiagra/105 stuff but I don't know much about that.

they do fitments there and charge $150, if you buy a bike from them that $150 goes to the purchase of your bike.

my question is the specialized a good bike for what I'm looking for?

after I got home I did some research and also am interested in the cannondale CAAD9 5/6 bikes. all I've ever heard about them is the frames are great stuff.

the allez was $1049 which seems high to me?

edit: this would be my first bike....signed up a LONG time ago as a kid but never had the money for a bike older now and still want to get into it.

Chad

·
Registered
95 Posts
budget and test ride

you are going to get this answer on this forum, rightfully so: if you have your budget and plan to get all accessories needed, then now you must ride and ride different models and brands within your said budget and make the decision yourself. (case and pt, I started riding 6 years ago....not knowing anything either....went to LBSs--plural and rode all models that fit my budget: Trek, Spec, Cann, Felt, Lemond, Bianchi and the list goes on...ended up always going back to the Lemond Tourmalet)(also note that I got a deal as I had taken a liken to the previous years model on closeout...thus getting better components at lesser price than current year make/model)

GL and enjoy

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that I need to get on some bikes and ride them...but heres the thing I don't have a clue what is "right" when looking.

I'm sure its not suppose to be completely comfy at first. what exactly do I look for?

Chad

·
Registered
838 Posts
Test ride at least three or four bikes. No need to ride every bike in the shop. Make sure your test ride is long enough to be meaningful. If the bike doesn't feel right, you can bring it back quickly. But if you think this might be the one, keep it out for at least 15 minutes. Be sure to ride up some hills and down some hills and try to use all the gears.

When you say "Specialized Allez", you may not be specific enough. Specialized makes at least six different bikes they all call the Allez. The base model is simply called the Allez, but other models add an extra word such as "Sport" or "Elite".

At any rate, if you find an Allez that feels good to ride, then I'm sure it will be just perfect for your needs. Don't get into "analysis paralysis". When you find a bike that seems to fit your needs, just buy it and don't look back.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John Nelson said:
Test ride at least three or four bikes. No need to ride every bike in the shop. Make sure your test ride is long enough to be meaningful. If the bike doesn't feel right, you can bring it back quickly. But if you think this might be the one, keep it out for at least 15 minutes. Be sure to ride up some hills and down some hills and try to use all the gears.

When you say "Specialized Allez", you may not be specific enough. Specialized makes at least six different bikes they all call the Allez. The base model is simply called the Allez, but other models add an extra word such as "Sport" or "Elite".

At any rate, if you find an Allez that feels good to ride, then I'm sure it will be just perfect for your needs. Don't get into "analysis paralysis". When you find a bike that seems to fit your needs, just buy it and don't look back.
makes sense for sure... going to go get fitted tom most likely.

I'll have to keep looking for those hills around here in Florida:p

Chad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.