Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Kilt wearing, old man
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be in Portland on June 24th (attending ‘Reunion Weekend” at the University of Portland, up in the St. Johns part of town).:D Anyway, I was thinking of taking a bike with me, and getting in a ride Saturday morning. So I could use some ideas. I had thought about taking a ride to Kelly Point Park, or similar length (so I could still partake in some of the afternoon reunion activities). Of course, if someone can offer a better idea, I wouldn’t mind hearing it.:)

FWIW, most of my rides tend to be in the under 25-mile bracket due to time constraints (something about working a 3 pm to midnight shift). Also, I was considering taking the old (1974 vintage frame) road bike; since that was the bike I took when I attended school (1979-82). Sort of a ride down memory lane type thing.:cool:

· Registered
460 Posts
PomPilot said:
I will be in Portland on June 24th (attending ‘Reunion Weekend” at the University of Portland, up in the St. Johns part of town).:D Anyway, I was thinking of taking a bike with me, and getting in a ride Saturday morning. So I could use some ideas. I had thought about taking a ride to Kelly Point Park, or similar length (so I could still partake in some of the afternoon reunion activities). Of course, if someone can offer a better idea, I wouldn’t mind hearing it.:)
If you are in North Portland anyway, running over the St. Johns Bridge and out to Sauvie Island could be nice. You miss the most industrial part of Hwy 30, and Sauvie Island is usually quiet and low traffic. And when the weather is nice, the mountain views are great.

Gordon

· Kilt wearing, old man
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's an idea I hadn't thought of, yet. Come to think of it, it has been a lot of years since I had been on Sauvie Island. :cool:

Please, keep the ideas flowing.:D Just remember, I may be a touch hung-over from reunion functions on Friday night.

BTW, how is road construction season progressing up that way. Last year when I was up there, they were still doing some work on the St. John's bridge. FWIW, for some reason, whenever I drive over the St. John's or Fremont bridges, I get just a touch acrophobic, especially when it's windy.:p

· Registered
460 Posts
PomPilot said:
That's an idea I hadn't thought of, yet. Come to think of it, it has been a lot of years since I had been on Sauvie Island. :cool:

Please, keep the ideas flowing.:D Just remember, I may be a touch hung-over from reunion functions on Friday night.

BTW, how is road construction season progressing up that way. Last year when I was up there, they were still doing some work on the St. John's bridge. FWIW, for some reason, whenever I drive over the St. John's or Fremont bridges, I get just a touch acrophobic, especially when it's windy.:p
I believe all the work on the St johns is done. Now the Burnside Bridge and the Bus Mall are a different thing all together.
As for the sketchy bridges, hey, them things is TALL! ;) You should try being here in August for the Bridge Pedal. Biking over the upper deck of both the Fremont and Marquam Bridges (closed to traffic), as well as the St Johns and the rest, is a real hoot, but the freeway bridges are a little intimidating.

Best,
Gordon

· Kilt wearing, old man
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well thanks to mquetel's thread regarding PedalPalooza, I found the link to Slug Velo's Rose Garden ride. :thumbsup: I finally got off my duff and dropped a note to their contact person. Quite frankly, given the possible condition I could be in on Saturday morning (i.e. having over done the fellowship and beer Friday night :eek: ), this group sounds like they just may be the ticket. :cool:

BTW, if you see this bike around north Portland that weekend, say hi.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.