Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a helmet and the specific one I'm looking at can be ordered with or without a (snap-fit) visor.

Just wondering: do you use a visor on your helmet or not and is it effective?

On the specific helmet I'm looking at it sort of looks cheap (but it is only $5 extra).

Thanks for your thoughts!

TripleB

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Most road cyclists don't use a visor, because it tends to interfere with forward vision when you have your head down. but your preference may vary. If you ride mostly in a more upright body posture, it's not such a big deal.

When I ride in the rain, I wear a billed cap under my helmet, to keep the rain off my glasses. If there's any chance you'll ride in the rain, I think it might be worth $5 extra to have that option.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Most road cyclists don't use a visor, because it tends to interfere with forward vision when you have your head down. but your preference may vary. If you ride mostly in a more upright body posture, it's not such a big deal.

When I ride in the rain, I wear a billed cap under my helmet, to keep the rain off my glasses. If there's any chance you'll ride in the rain, I think it might be worth $5 extra to have that option.
Just curious...Which one did you try?

The forward vis was really good however, for me, the visor made some really strange vortex of air that made me tear up when in a certain position. That alone was enough to get rid of it but, it wasn't good in the rain and looked really, really bad IMO. If it performed different maybe I could have overlooked the looks. The helmet I'm blasting is the Giro one. Forget the name.

Ironically, I do use a TT helmet that has a visor. The design of the helmet/visor is such that I don't get the tear issue and even if I use it in the rain it's only for an hour max. So I deal with the looks. The helmet I use here is the POC Cerebel.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
Just curious...Which one did you try?

The forward vis was really good however, for me, the visor made some really strange vortex of air that made me tear up when in a certain position. That alone was enough to get rid of it but, it wasn't good in the rain and looked really, really bad IMO. If it performed different maybe I could have overlooked the looks. The helmet I'm blasting is the Giro one. Forget the name.

Ironically, I do use a TT helmet that has a visor. The design of the helmet/visor is such that I don't get the tear issue and even if I use it in the rain it's only for an hour max. So I deal with the looks. The helmet I use here is the POC Cerebel.
We have two different uses of the word "visor" here. The OP refers to a sun visor, whereas your usage refers to what some call a face shield

The former block your view when head down....the later cost much more than a $5USD increase in helmet base price.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the input so far. Here are the specific helmets I'm talking about: Giro Trinity and Giro Revel. One is called 'Highlight Yellow' and the other is called 'Flash Yellow' but they seem to be the same color....at least on the computer.

The info states the visor on the Revel has a 'removable snap visor' so I guess I could pay the extra $5 and leave it off if I don't like it or find it useful. To me they look identical except for the visor!?!

Green Bicycle helmet Yellow Personal protective equipment Headgear Bicycle helmet Green Yellow Helmet Personal protective equipment

However, I'm still interested in hearing whether you wear one, and why or why not.

I appreciate the help!

TripleB

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
I appreciate the input so far. Here are the specific helmets I'm talking about: Giro Trinity and Giro Revel. One is called 'Highlight Yellow' and the other is called 'Flash Yellow' but they seem to be the same color....at least on the computer.

The info states the visor on the Revel has a 'removable snap visor' so I guess I could pay the extra $5 and leave it off if I don't like it or find it useful. To me they look identical except for the visor!?!

View attachment 315945 View attachment 315946

However, I'm still interested in hearing whether you wear one, and why or why not.

I appreciate the help!

TripleB
I don't wear one. I'm in the drops a lot and pretty low so my neck and head angle would seem to make the visor in the way but I've never tried it... Cycling specific sunglasses made a big difference for me on this effect because I wasn't looking over them anymore and tearing terribly.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
no visor.

obstructs forward vision, looks like dorkness.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
What he said. The fashion police will crucify you.
I guess mountain bikers wear them, tho. They don't mind looking dorky.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts

When I ride in the rain, I wear a billed cap under my helmet, to keep the rain off my glasses........

This!!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yep, all my helmets have had visors. I don't care one bit what anybody else thinks. I like it to block the sun when needed just as the visor does in a car. More importantly, for me, is my mirror is attached to it and it's always there and ready for a ride. I consider the mirror a necessity. So, for me the visor is great. I only ride on the road and never had an issue with it obstructing forward vision.

In case you what to know, I have Rudy Project Sterling. As some one truly living up to the "dork factor", I always wear a high viz jersey. I think the color of the helmets pictured is awesome.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cycling specific sunglasses made a big difference for me on this effect because I wasn't looking over them anymore and tearing terribly.
I was thinking of trying a pair of cycling sunglasses. Saw some on closeout, probably not amazing glasses, for under $16 and included three pairs of lenses.

Thanks for all the advice!

TripleB

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
Rogus;5068457...I always wear a high viz jersey.[/QUOTE said:
don't let the color of a jersey lull you into a false sense of security.

a hi-viz yellow one didn't do squat for me against a senior citizen in a Buick and a texting douchebag in a F-150.

·
Registered
432 Posts
don't let the color of a jersey lull you into a false sense of security.

a hi-viz yellow one didn't do squat for me against a senior citizen in a Buick and a texting douchebag in a F-150.
LOL. I figure it helps to be as visible as possible. I didn't think it created a force field.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
Every helmet I've owned came with a visor. Like others here, I remove it as I find it interferes with forward vision.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts