Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And is anyone surprised? Not bloody likely! God how I HATE XP, it's by far the worst of these bloatware viruses that Bill Gates & Co. have inflicted upon the long-suffering public. That does it, I am comprehensively done with Microsoft, at least for home computing. I've been planning to make the switch from PC to Mac, but this coupled with the new Intel processor MacBook Pros just makes the decision all that much easier.

/rant

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
lonefrontranger said:
And is anyone surprised? Not bloody likely! God how I HATE XP, it's by far the worst of these bloatware viruses that Bill Gates & Co. have inflicted upon the long-suffering public. That does it, I am comprehensively done with Microsoft, at least for home computing. I've been planning to make the switch from PC to Mac, but this coupled with the new Intel processor MacBook Pros just makes the decision all that much easier.

/rant
WTF is Vista? "vapourware"? Are you British? ;)

·
Registered
918 Posts
vista is the new windows, its a pos. they tried to make it more "user friendly" its more user friendly for people that dont know jack about computers it just pisses off people that do. Linux is the answer not mac.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
iopturbo said:
vista is the new windows, its a pos. they tried to make it more "user friendly" its more user friendly for people that dont know jack about computers it just pisses off people that do. Linux is the answer not mac.
Oh...I use XP Home Ed which seems OK for what I use it for and XP Pro at work. Never had that many issues with it.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
who'd a thunk

that Windows would release a supposed New friendly OS that would be plagued with problems and be riddled with virus/hacker friendly holes?

same as it ever was, same as it ever was.

funny how he releases a new POS OS when he hasn't even 'fixed' the issues with the last POS OS

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yo Bocephus

not to derail the thread... but wth it's my own thread and I'll hijack it if I want to - but are you guys still doing Cruzer rides? I've been playing around with the thought of making my Cruzer debut on the fixte. Thoughts? Seems like the weather will have improved a bit by tomorrow evening at any rate.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
LFR,
Welcome to the world of Mac, the only true computer out there.
Cheers, Wayne
ps. Proudly typed on a PowerMac G5, 1.8 Ghz :)

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
lonefrontranger said:
not to derail the thread... but wth it's my own thread and I'll hijack it if I want to - but are you guys still doing Cruzer rides? I've been playing around with the thought of making my Cruzer debut on the fixte. Thoughts? Seems like the weather will have improved a bit by tomorrow evening at any rate.
// yeah...I've been doing it off and on. I don't go out when the weather is too cold or crappy, but have done a few rides so far. Usually just a small group or die hard regulars this time of year (anywhere from 4-30 people on a given night), but once this snow moves on it rapidly gets bigger. We almost always meet at Wahoos on Pearl before the ride (6:45-7ish) to eat and have a margarita or 2. Ride time is sometimes a bit later when it's cold--like 8pm even depending on who shows up. Once daylight savings hits it'll start getting more regular and leaving at 7:30ish from the Sports Garage. I think once the ride gets to about 40-50 people it's the ideal size. In the summer when it gets to 300 or so it's too big and that's when you start to have problems. It's impressive to see 300 bikes riding as one, but logistically the ride is best when smaller.

for details check out:

http://www.cruiserbikeride.org/

Note: We're having a ski jam at A-basin on April 1st...should be a blast. If you ski or board you'd have a great time there.

here's a pic of me at last years event...think I'd had a few beers by then ;)

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bocephus Jones II said:
Usually just a small group or die hard regulars this time of year (anywhere from 4-30 people on a given night
that's why I was considering trying it on now, and not later on in the season. No friggin way do I want to be a part of the insanity I see mid-May when the weather's nice.

thanks for the info, is that the Wahoo's right next to the Verizon place? my mobile's battery is crapping out, so I might be able to kill 2 birds with one stone.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Having been in the situation of having a board of driectors force me to put a software product into the market before it's time, I'd have to agree with MS's position of taking its time. MS needs to avoid a bad release at all costs. Vista is bank for MS and for the industry. There are IC and silicon developers, IP developers, board manufacturers, system integrators, OEMs, the service industry that supports the technology and billions of users that all have a stake in Vista being as right as can be.

Vista - will it be perfect? Don't think so. It's far reaching software. But should it be as solid as it can be? That's a good target. Vista will be fueling the PC industry engine with new hardware requirements, new application versions, new support processes and procedures, to the tune of hundreds of billions of dollars. In marketing terms alone, MS will spend over 2 billion to push Vista at launch. That's gonna have an impact. From an economic perspective, Vista, if successful will be an uncomfortable change for many, welcomed by others, and be an opportunity to build revenue for many more. If it fails? All the MS naysayers will get what they've always wanted, the demise of an arrogant corporate giant. And it'll give Apple the chance to gain more traction in the market. With more traction, and maybe success, do you think Apple will be any less arrogant than MS? If so, clearly you've never worked for Apple, or for Steve.

My experiences with XP? They've been fine. There are things it could do better, but it does what I need it do. I do a lot of 3D, heavy imaging and graphics, hobbyist level DV editing, design, presentations, run all the office apps, manage my email, schedule and contacts, and sync it to my Symbian based phone, a Palm, and my Polar HRM. XP? IMHO? Good stuff.

Background- I was a mac user exclusively until mid '95, then transitioned into Windows based products. I dropped MACs altogether just around the launch of OSX. I worked for Steve at one time - iMovie, and snuck in a compag laptop to sync with my Palm. The brand new high zoot Apple hardware they supplied me kept crashing or locking on basic time management software like Palm and Eudora.

There's no perfect OS, or hardware. It's about choosing what you need and can afford to get the job done, with as few hassles as possible. If that's Apple? Power to you. If that's Windows? A change is in the wind. If that's Linux or Unix? Been on a date lately? :D Just kidding - you're smarter than me and I need to try and drag you down somehow. ;)

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
lonefrontranger said:
is that the Wahoo's right next to the Verizon place? my mobile's battery is crapping out, so I might be able to kill 2 birds with one stone.
yup...the same place..just looks for people wearing strange outfits and that's likely us. ;)

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
thinkcooper said:
If that's Linux or Unix? Been on a date lately? :D
LOL!

rm * -r -f

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Note: We're having a ski jam at A-basin on April 1st...should be a blast. If you ski or board you'd have a great time there.

Ahh, A-Basin. My favorite place to ride in the US.

·
Rock the Mullet!
305 Posts
Always fun to beat up on us UNIX geeks.

If that's Linux or Unix? Been on a date lately? :D Just kidding - you're smarter than me and I need to try and drag you down somehow. ;)

# rm -rf /usr/thinkcooper :D

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I don't think I've seen pictures of you in a normal outfit ever.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts