Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Biking World,

I am a high school student who is working on an engineering project to fix the problem of visual awareness and safety of bikers. I compiled a list of questions that are related to the issue in order to give me a statistical analysis of how to solve my problem. The link to the survey is below. Thank You.

https://docs.google.com/a/k12.friscoisd.org/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSda9anaHH1lKVbM_7xqgN3GqEhOvl-KfhijXVekcSTh1goGGw/viewform

Sincerely,

James

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Took the survey, but you're likely to get more responses if you can set up a survey that doesn't require logging in (google docs).

Also (and may be too late for you), the question: "How often do your ride" should really have an answer between "Daily" and "Weekly" - I'd guess everyone on this forum rides less than 7 days/week, but more than 1 day/week.

Good luck with your project!

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,420 Posts
tl;dr

Really, about every 2 months, another one of you comes along, then disappears. Excuse me if I'm not the least bit interested in taking your poorly thought-out survey. I've got better things to do with my time.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Bikes shouldn't have to share the road with cars. It's an unfair fight.
Cars outweigh us by a Lot!

I don't think visual aides will prevent someone from Texting and drifting
onto the shoulder where we ride.

Also, the speed differences are huge.

It's risky business.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Until we have a system like Copenhagen which is separate streets and signals, we are sharing the pavement with people who are driving 1 ton vehicles and looking at information screens while they do it. Even if you didn't have a smart phone your new car comes with a information screen in the middle of the dashboard that can distract your attention. As someone else has been saying, the system is rigged. To correct it you must change the system.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
If you are interested in 'Visual Awareness' in general, or of cyclists...

This article is *really* interesting.

A Fighter Pilot’s Guide to Surviving on the Roads...What’s wrong with you - are you blind?!!

http://www.slobc.org/safety/<wbr>documents/road-survival-guide.<wbr>pdf

I take no credit for this. Someone else had posted it here, and I found it really valuable in understanding why we sometimes don't 'see' things that we should see. I forwarded it to just about everyone I know, and got lots of good feedback.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
About every week another one of you comes along and I wonder if you are (A) clueless or (B) just don't care what kind of ambassador you are for the sport?
tl;dr

Really, about every 2 months, another one of you comes along, then disappears. Excuse me if I'm not the least bit interested in taking your poorly thought-out survey. I've got better things to do with my time.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts

A Fighter Pilot’s Guide to Surviving on the Roads...What’s wrong with you - are you blind?!!

I take no credit for this. Someone else had posted it here, and I found it really valuable in understanding why we sometimes don't 'see' things that we should see. I forwarded it to just about everyone I know, and got lots of good feedback.
Yes, that is an excellent article. Required reading for anyone interested in "situational awareness," especially from a fragile bicycle, but also the key to safe driving.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
By now you are thinking that everybody on this forum must have been killed by motorists several times, thus the claims there is nothing you can do to increase visual awareness in their opinion.

In fact, those of us who are not brain dead do what we can to increase visual presence while riding on the road.

Don't let losers discourage your efforts to innovate.
Hello Biking World,

I am a high school student who is working on an engineering project to fix the problem of visual awareness and safety of bikers. I compiled a list of questions that are related to the issue in order to give me a statistical analysis of how to solve my problem. The link to the survey is below. Thank You.

https://docs.google.com/a/k12.friscoisd.org/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSda9anaHH1lKVbM_7xqgN3GqEhOvl-KfhijXVekcSTh1goGGw/viewform

Sincerely,

James

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Hello Biking World,

Sincerely,

James
What is your hypothesis on what causes the lack of visual awareness? What novel solutions are you entertaining?

Your survey does not address why someone would think they were not observed in a close call, or what the situation was. Wouldn't you want to know when, where, why there were close calls?

You might want to find statistics on cycling deaths and focus on the situations around them. Time of day, road conditions, vehicle density, road rage?, distracted driving, cyclist error, driver error, road conditions....

Your survey seems more on the marketing side. Lets' see, I need to find 20-40 year olds, willing to spend a bunch of money. Then we'll design a product to fit the market... and maybe provide a viable/helpful solution.

I've worked for decades providing solutions. Most of the time a client comes asking for a specific solution. A solution that they truly believe in. A significant amount of the time I find out that the solution they are asking for will not resolve the issue they are trying to fix. Dig a bit deeper. Ask what question they are trying to answer, or what problem they are trying to solve. Then make sure your solution fixes the problem.

In your situation, you are inferring that the cyclist needs to be more easily seen. Why do you think they aren't being seen? Your survey asks if there has been a close call, not why. You need to figure out the why, then figure out a solution to address the why.

·
Registered
442 Posts
What is your hypothesis on what causes the lack of visual awareness? What novel solutions are you entertaining?

Your survey does not address why someone would think they were not observed in a close call, or what the situation was. Wouldn't you want to know when, where, why there were close calls?

You might want to find statistics on cycling deaths and focus on the situations around them. Time of day, road conditions, vehicle density, road rage?, distracted driving, cyclist error, driver error, road conditions....

Your survey seems more on the marketing side. Lets' see, I need to find 20-40 year olds, willing to spend a bunch of money. Then we'll design a product to fit the market... and maybe provide a viable/helpful solution.

I've worked for decades providing solutions. Most of the time a client comes asking for a specific solution. A solution that they truly believe in. A significant amount of the time I find out that the solution they are asking for will not resolve the issue they are trying to fix. Dig a bit deeper. Ask what question they are trying to answer, or what problem they are trying to solve. Then make sure your solution fixes the problem.

In your situation, you are inferring that the cyclist needs to be more easily seen. Why do you think they aren't being seen? Your survey asks if there has been a close call, not why. You need to figure out the why, then figure out a solution to address the why.
If he's looking for raw data, then asking why will only get him a bunch of opinions, which would be useless.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
tl;dr

dude bro you joined since Sep 2016, that means 3 months ago. Take it easy on the friendly tone.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,420 Posts
dude bro you joined since Sep 2016, that means 3 months ago. Take it easy on the friendly tone.
I was here for about 10 years, let my account lapse, then returned under a new name after about 5 years. I was here back when a lot more people used to be here.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,420 Posts

Interesting article. As a former truck driver, I learned to always keep scanning my surroundings, front, rear and sides. I can't emphasize how many times that 'second look' saved me from trouble. Although I agree with his observation that small vehicles (like bicycles) can be missed, I still find it amazing that a few people could completely 'not see' a 40 ton tractor-trailer rig, yet it has happened to me! So, just keep in mind that there is a small percentage of drivers that couldn't see the broadside of a barn if it was right in front of them....

·
Registered
291 Posts
Seriously, this is a high school kid trying to do a project, he is not a trained statistician. Help him if you take the time to respond. Don't belittle him. We need to encourage kids to want to do projects, not say what a bunch of aholes cyclists bike forum members are.

Sent from my KFTBWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
We need to encourage kids to want to do projects, not say what a bunch of aholes cyclists bike forum members are.
Agree 100%. Especially if the ******* types up a nasty response that took about as much time to type as taking the survey would have done.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts

I have seen this and yes, it is excellent. It deserves a full read through. I think the takeaway for cyclists is always use lights and always wear light colors, regardless of time of day or weather condition.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
If he's looking for raw data, then asking why will only get him a bunch of opinions, which would be useless.
with what he is asking the data will be useless unless he is in a marketing class. What's your age and how much will you spend ... doesn't solve the problem.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts