Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
vitamin C doesn't work for me.....

A steady diet of Symbicort, Singulair & Albuteral....

·
Lost in Space...
3,434 Posts
I remain a skeptic... what were the concentrations of vitamin c required in the article? I drink a ton of OJ and that certainly doesn't help. :( Then again, my exercise induced asthma is provoked by the underlying GERD issue.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
vitamin C doesn't work for me.....

A steady diet of Symbicort, Singulair & Albuteral....
I'm fascinated by the number of asthmatics that are prescribed a long-acting beta agonist, despite the increase in mortality and severe asthma exacerbations found in studies. This is the power of marketing I guess.

Regarding Vitamin C, I was a like Spade and didn't put much belief in a significant benefit from Vitamins (based on lack of evidence in studies). Then one day last year, my mother asked why I was getting sick so often. I told her that it was because I interact with healthcare professionals on a daily basis and they don't take too many sick days. Which means I'm exposed a good deal. However, that got me thinking about how she used to make me take Vitamin C when I was growing up and I never got sick. So, my study with N = 1, started last year in September. I started taking 500 mg/day and upped it to 1000 mg if there were sick people at work. If I felt like I was starting to catch something, I would up it to 2000 mg/day until I felt better. I didn't get sick all winter and only caught some nasty sinus infection a few weeks ago. When I've had these before, I always end up with a lower respiratory infection following the sinus infection. This time it did not happen. So, my story is totally anecdotal, but it has convinced me that there is something going on with Vitamin C. The majority of my coworkers talked about how this winter was the worst for them, regarding illness.

My two cents...

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
I take vit C during cold and flu season, along with getting lots of sleep and wiping everything down in my pharmacy at the start of every shift.

As for the long acting beta agonists, I used them for a few years until I got my asthma under control. I didn't have any problems while on them. I had been in the ER a few times before starting them, so I would probably say I was at much higher risk without them.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
wouldn't get my hopes up on this one...

had severe asthma as a kid, was also given truckloads of supplements by my health-conscious mother...all manner of vitamins and herbs, especially high dosages of Vit C.

don't recall getting much relief from the wheeze attacks.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
I'm fascinated by the number of asthmatics that are prescribed a long-acting beta agonist, despite the increase in mortality and severe asthma exacerbations found in studies. This is the power of marketing I guess.

Regarding Vitamin C, I was a like Spade and didn't put much belief in a significant benefit from Vitamins (based on lack of evidence in studies). Then one day last year, my mother asked why I was getting sick so often. I told her that it was because I interact with healthcare professionals on a daily basis and they don't take too many sick days. Which means I'm exposed a good deal. However, that got me thinking about how she used to make me take Vitamin C when I was growing up and I never got sick. So, my study with N = 1, started last year in September. I started taking 500 mg/day and upped it to 1000 mg if there were sick people at work. If I felt like I was starting to catch something, I would up it to 2000 mg/day until I felt better. I didn't get sick all winter and only caught some nasty sinus infection a few weeks ago. When I've had these before, I always end up with a lower respiratory infection following the sinus infection. This time it did not happen. So, my story is totally anecdotal, but it has convinced me that there is something going on with Vitamin C. The majority of my coworkers talked about how this winter was the worst for them, regarding illness.

My two cents...
If I didn't have the EIA, my asthma would be in control, where I would only need the albuterol on as-needed basis.

the EIA is a different beast... usually when climbing hills, especially when I'm mountain biking.

Yesterdayy's MTB ride.... that was brutal on me.

If you look at speed vs elevation.... you'll see mid climbs, is when I have to force myself to take a break, where my EIA kicks in (I've tried just about every trick in the book).

I do suspect a correlation between heart-rate and when I'm gasping for air from an attack..... which requires me to take a break and slow my breathing down, thus my heart-rate

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
wouldn't get my hopes up on this one...

had severe asthma as a kid, was also given truckloads of supplements by my health-conscious mother...all manner of vitamins and herbs, especially high dosages of Vit C.

don't recall getting much relief from the wheeze attacks.

I had severe asthma as a child too. I can think of at least 5 ED visits during my childhood. I didn't notice any benefit with my Asthma, but I do think it helps with reducing colds, etc. This, indirectly helps with Asthma (personal belief statement, no data to back it up).

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll just mention for those who may not have read them that the article and scientific publication are about exercise-induced bronchoconstriction, not asthma per se.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
I'll just mention for those who may not have read them that the article and scientific publication are about exercise-induced bronchoconstriction, not asthma per se.
it's still asthma... over the years, it's being renamed exercise induced bronchospasms and exercise induced bronchconstriction.

Vitamin C isn't really a novel idea for it... it's been around for quite some time for those seeking a more natural way of treating EIA/EIB.

There's garlic... there's fish oil, ...

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, though this study only reports the effects of vit C in exercised induced bronchcoconstriction, and not on episodes of bronchoconstriction not induced by exercise.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.