Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have both sets of these in the 290TPI version.
No complaints but these are my first ever tubular so I don't have anything to compare to.

·
veldrijder
444 Posts
The 320 tpi ones with the black rubber are a HUGE improvement. The gray 290 tpi ones rode really stiff and the rubber was too hard to grip when it was wet. As such, not really worthwhile IMO.

The new ones on the other hand are really supple... not Dugast or FMB supple, but like a Challenge. The black rubber is great too, if not a bit too soft (I don't see the knobs lasting more than a season if you use them much). I have the XM and after a few rides would say they're a nice all around tread with PLENTY of side grip and an open design that will not pack up. They will not be killer mud tires like Rhinos or the upcoming Challenge Limus, but they obviously work (JP won a muddy Gloucester on them last year).

The big thing is the price - they can be had for less than Challenge tires if you look, making them a great value.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Picked up some XMs this season. Waiting for the wheelset to be built for them, but should be able to glue them up this coming week. Fortunately still plenty dry around here, so a "mud" tire isn't called for yet. Looking forward to having some tire options this season.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Thanks for the link. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on some XN's, and that is considerably less $$ than any other site I've seen.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I used a pair all of last year. I did get a puncure that I repaired. They are very well made and the base tape stays on. For the money they lay waste to Challenge and are as good as Dugast as far as suppleness and quality. One could argue tread pattern as that's highly course and your local terrain may dictate something better. I would like to try the XG as a tread comparison closer to Challenge. There are many issues as far as grip, quality, longevity that makes it very hard to say one tire is better than another. So I'd say they are above average in most categories so for the money that's tough to beat.

·
Registered
307 Posts
yeah, they are a great deal on the link, thanks for that. I am gonna get a set, now i just need some tubbie wheels.... Are Tri spokes legal for cross......hehe

·
Registered
809 Posts
just learned that these don't have a removeable core, but the entire valve is removeable and can be replaced with long Vittoria valve extenders.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've had them for about a week and done a few rides - so far I'm very pleased. they don't have the suppleness of my old dugasts or fmb's but like others have said they're not too far off. the rubber is really grippy and the sidewalls are black and durable feeling - which I think will translate into better lifespan and lower maintenance (no aquasealing and not as much need to clean meticulously and dry every time I ride). The tread is quite agressive but not in the same league as rhinos. Another possible advantage is that I tried them at quite low pressure - 28psi - and they didn't feel like they were folding over when I turned on pavement - which I always got sketched out with before on dugasts. a lot of courses I race include a least a small stretch of pavement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts