Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I developed a leak at the valve stem on a Vittoria Corsa that I've ridden twice. It would fill up but if I wiggled the stem it would leak. It's got a healthy dose of Stans in it too...
Anyway, I decided it was too nice a tire to just toss so I figured I'd try to fix it. I peeled the tape, cut the stitches and silk liner and pulled out the latex tube at the stem... When I did, I noticed the tube had already been cut and spliced about an inch from the stem. I can't see any sign of a leak but the tube seems to have a thin spot next to the stem.

Is it normal for a new, un-touched tubular to have a cut/spliced tube from the factory?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. The method most people recommend for replacing a tube in a tubular is to cut the new tube in half and pull it through the small opening you made in the stitching to get the old tube out... Then you glue the cut ends back together, over-lapping them an inch or so.

But my factory sealed Vittoria Tubular has a cut/spliced tube in it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.