Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for the most puncture resistant tubular tire for my girlfriend's Ironman Triathlon in August - not really looking for a Tri specific tire...more interested in durability - hate to have her have to deal with a flat. I've read good things about the Conti Comps and GP4000's, and have used Vittoria EVO CX tubulars in the past. Any opinions???

·
497 Posts
I'd go for the Comp unless the Vittoria was substantially cheaper. I've been happy with either one, but the Vittoria has slightly less rolling resistance at the expense of slightly less durability. The gp4000 is not repairable (no matter how flat proof it may or may not be).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

BenR said:
I'd go for the Comp unless the Vittoria was substantially cheaper. I've been happy with either one, but the Vittoria has slightly less rolling resistance at the expense of slightly less durability. The gp4000 is not repairable (no matter how flat proof it may or may not be).
Thanks so much - it's so confusing because I get people who swear by the Vittoria's and people who won't use anything but Conti's...maybe it's just a Canon/Nikon thing (I'd say Apple/PC thing, but we all know Mac's are far superior!!) ;-}
Seems both are good tires and maybe it's just a personal preference, huh?

·
Registered
707 Posts
One thing about tubulars, no matter which one you look at get a tube of Tufo sealant or Stan's NoTubes sealant. If you put an ounce of sealant in the tire it will help protect against small holes causing flats. It does not change the ride qualities of the tire.

I have tried both Vittoria and Continental. The Vittoria's are lighter, probably because of the latex tube and just a hair thinner. The Continental's seem to be rounder and just a bit harder to mount.

As I responded to your post in the Tri section, also look at Veloflex.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ride tubulars all the time. Vittoria ride nice but are not durable 500 to 800 miles on rear wheel same with Conti sprinters lots of small cuts on tread with same mielage. Happy with Tufo S33 Special Tubular Tire. 305 tpi 115-175 psi Have gotten 1300-1500 miles on rear wheel placement with rider weight of 180 lbs inflated to 160 psi. There is no tube in these tires use tufo sealent

http://www.westernbikeworks.com/productdetail.asp?p=TUS33

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
toonraid said:
Are Vredestein Tricomp Pro's any good?
I can't say anything about their Tubulars, but I road a pair of the Tri Comp Clinchers and I can say this...the rubber compound is very soft and sticky making them great for cornering adherence, BUT I got a flat just about every 3 rides....not puncture resistant at all for training (for me). I switched to the Michelin Pro Race 3's (the Pro Race 2 always worked well for me, too) and so far, no flats.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Colored treads are vulcanized with silicon and are generally softer than black treads vulcanized with carbon.

Tread hardness. How long the tread on a bicycle tire lasts is no accident. The tire designer has a certain total tire in his mind when he decides upon the casing, tire size and tread hardness. Does he want the tire to be primarily one that is durable? If so he will use a lot of the curing agent (see the definition of "Vulcanization" above). For instance, in general a hard rubber may have as much as 50% of the curing agent while a soft rubber may have as little as 5%. The durable, long-lasting tread comes at a price. The hard rubber does not grip the pavement as well as a softer rubber.

http://www.qbike.com/Bike-Tires-Buying-Guide/

·
Two wheels=freedom!
711 Posts
I put about 2,000 miles on the Vred Tricomp Pro's last season. (well at least the front) the rear got a snakebite after hitting a MASSIVE pothole at about 1,000 miles. No flats, and a great all around tire. It has a latex tube, great for suppleness, but you gotta pump them up before every ride. I'm a 200lb rider who spends a lot of time in the hills.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Neither tire you mentioned is really much for puncture protection. The Conti may be a bit better, but not by much. If you really, really want protection, a Tufo S33 special is the way to go. For good protection, but with a tire that still has some pliability and/or grip, go for either a Tufo S22 or a Conti Sprinter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.