Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
fu
Joined
·
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered these tires from Performance figurinig 320TPI is beter than 150. Then I decided to read some reviews. It turns out that they puncture easily have a very short tread life. Peformance won't cancel the order because it was placed online (some policy!) but they said that I can exchange them. Are those tires really that bad? I'm consiering trying them anyway. What do you think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,297 Posts
They are great tires. People that complain about them expect them to be like a Conti 4 Season or Michelin Krylion.
They are RACE tires. They deliver superior handling, ride quality and much decreased rolling resistance. If you buy them and expect to get 5000 flat free miles out of them, then you are fooling yourself.
I ride Open Corsa CX or Veloflex tires exclusively. I don't get any more flats than the rest of the folks I ride with.
I cannot understand people that buy high dollar wheels, only to put crap tires on them.
 

·
A wheelist
Joined
·
11,322 Posts
I've had mine on since the spring and they've been perfect. So perfect that I've got more on order. I use the 25mm ones at about 90psi and the ride is like nothing I've experienced in the past 24 years since I rode tubulars exclusively.

Punctures - none. Treadlife - they're not worn out yet. Comfort - unequaled. At my age life is too short to waste on lesser tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,745 Posts
They are great for what they are designed for and that is performace.

If you wanted a super durable long lasting tire you shouldn't be looking at race tires at all and certainly not this one.

Personally I think they are the best tire out there. But my definition of best is certainly different from someone looking for long lasting tires.
 

·
A wheelist
Joined
·
11,322 Posts
ph0enix said:
Thanks guys! I'm going to keep them then and see for myself. I'll report back when I have some miles on them.
And one more thing - mine are 25mm ones and they weigh 208 & 213 grams. That's very light for 25mm tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,546 Posts
"I cannot understand people that buy high dollar wheels, only to put crap tires on them." and then add thorn resistant tubes and wonder where the speed is.....
 
G

·
Do you train on them.......

as well as race? I ride them too, don't race. 150 lbs (me) and 100 psi (tires). Terrific ride and cornering grip, I'll grant you but jeez they don't wear for beans. I'm hoping to get through until October then switch the front to the rear and replace the front.

With this kind of wear and their retail prices, I need a discount code for a discount code with free shipping to boot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
I have 1300-1400 miles on my Open Corsa 290s, which are supposed to be less puncture resistant than the 320s. They've been awesome - truly superior tires. No flats or problems yet. I have no illusions about them - if I get 1800-2000 miles I'll be thrilled.

That said, I do have some GP 4000s ready to replace the rear when it's time. I just wanted to give them a try. But come next spring, I may end up going back to the Corsas, this time in 320.

Oh, and if you're buying from Performance, you're paying too much. Try ProBikeKit.com - they just blow Performance out of the water on price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,057 Posts
I've just recently purchased these tires, the 320 TPI version, in about the first 200 miles the front tire had, in addition to various other nicks, 2 noticeable chunks of rubber torn, revealing the bottom silver mesh layer. Same thing had happened with the rear, but with just 25 miles on it (err, what?). I actually burst out laughing when I looked at the rear last week. They have the same amount of gashes now as my previous stock Vittoria Zaffiros which have over 4,000 miles on them.

Transitioning from the Zaffiros wih 4k+ miles, they do feel better and immediately my 10km TT times decreased by something like 10-15 seconds. How much of that was attributed to just having new tires? Not sure, but I like their feel. It's not an awe-inspiring difference, if you suddenly switched out my tires I probably wouldn't notice, but hey it's better than nothing.

These were my second set of tires, and as I've been told new tires are initially very tight to put on, but I will still say this... putting the Corsas on my wheels were an absolute, freaking nightmare. Half an hour of an agonizing, finger blistering, swear word extravaganza to put EACH tire on. I was having to apply so much force, and do everything I could, to leverage the last foot of the tire on the wheel the first two latex tubes received pinch flats just trying to put the tire on. After over an hour, I finally got both on and inflated... only to have the back tube explode 15 minutes into a ride with such force the tire flew off the rim. It went from 115 PSI to 0 instantly with a foot long gash where I had again been leveraging the tire on. Fourth time is a charm right? After $40 of latex tubes. The only positive outcome to this, is I now consider myself a master at putting tires on wheels and have developed a very solid technique... still can't feel my fingers though.

In terms of puncture resistance, so far I'm not impressed but at least it hasn't been terrible. In about 600 miles now, the front tire has mysteriously flatted twice - and I was mostly using the Corsa as a front tire with a Zaffiro still in the back (for the trainer). When I say mysteriously, I mean to say I had been riding with a group over the same area only to have the front tire start to lose air for no apparent reason. Upon inspection, I never found anything still stuck in the tire but the tube had a hole in it. These two flats came after having no flats on my run down Zaffiros for probably 1000 miles.

Overall, I'm not sure if I'd buy them again. After finally putting them on I remember vowing angrily, "I'M NEVER BUYING THESE PIECES OF SH*T AGAIN!"... then the back tube exploded shortly after, and well, you can only imagine what happened next. But they seem to roll and feel better than Zaffiros with 4k+ miles on them, so that's a plus. If I keep flatting at the same frequency though, I can tell you I will not buy them again. The rides and races I'll be doing are on imperfect streets, so if they continue to flat like every week and a half what's the point of having them as race tires? If you flat, especially with how damn hard they are to put on, you lose. That's it. Good day sir, you get NOTHING. I've gotten it down where I can get one on in about 5 minutes now, but it's still hella hard and not something I'd ever want to deal with in the middle of a race in the event of a flat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
You gotta wonder about QC at Vittoria. I mean, some of us are just having great luck with the Corsas, and others aren't. Who knows? My sense is that this is a high risk/high reward tire. I've had great luck so far, but that might just be it - luck. I decided to by GP 4000s as a replacement because it seems they are just more reliable, if perhaps not quite as supple.


Cableguy said:
I've just recently purchased these tires, the 320 TPI version, in about the first 200 miles the front tire had, in addition to various other nicks, 2 noticeable chunks of rubber torn, revealing the bottom silver mesh layer. Same thing had happened with the rear, but with just 25 miles on it (err, what?). I actually burst out laughing when I looked at the rear last week. They have the same amount of gashes now as my previous stock Vittoria Zaffiros which have over 4,000 miles on them.

Transitioning from the Zaffiros wih 4k+ miles, they do feel better and immediately my 10km TT times decreased by something like 10-15 seconds. How much of that was attributed to just having new tires? Not sure, but I like their feel. It's not an awe-inspiring difference, if you suddenly switched out my tires I probably wouldn't notice, but hey it's better than nothing.

These were my second set of tires, and as I've been told new tires are initially very tight to put on, but I will still say this... putting the Corsas on my wheels were an absolute, freaking nightmare. Half an hour of an agonizing, finger blistering, swear word extravaganza to put EACH tire on. I was having to apply so much force, and do everything I could, to leverage the last foot of the tire on the wheel the first two latex tubes received pinch flats just trying to put the tire on. After over an hour, I finally got both on and inflated... only to have the back tube explode 15 minutes into a ride with such force the tire flew off the rim. It went from 115 PSI to 0 instantly with a foot long gash where I had again been leveraging the tire on. Fourth time is a charm right? After $40 of latex tubes. The only positive outcome to this, is I now consider myself a master at putting tires on wheels and have developed a very solid technique... still can't feel my fingers though.

In terms of puncture resistance, so far I'm not impressed but at least it hasn't been terrible. In about 600 miles now, the front tire has mysteriously flatted twice - and I was mostly using the Corsa as a front tire with a Zaffiro still in the back (for the trainer). When I say mysteriously, I mean to say I had been riding with a group over the same area only to have the front tire start to lose air for no apparent reason. Upon inspection, I never found anything still stuck in the tire but the tube had a hole in it. These two flats came after having no flats on my run down Zaffiros for probably 1000 miles.

Overall, I'm not sure if I'd buy them again. After finally putting them on I remember vowing angrily, "I'M NEVER BUYING THESE PIECES OF SH*T AGAIN!"... then the back tube exploded shortly after, and well, you can only imagine what happened next. But they seem to roll and feel better than Zaffiros with 4k+ miles on them, so that's a plus. If I keep flatting at the same frequency though, I can tell you I will not buy them again. The rides and races I'll be doing are on imperfect streets, so if they continue to flat like every week and a half what's the point of having them as race tires? If you flat, especially with how damn hard they are to put on, you lose. That's it. Good day sir, you get NOTHING. I've gotten it down where I can get one on in about 5 minutes now, but it's still hella hard and not something I'd ever want to deal with in the middle of a race in the event of a flat.
 
G

·
I was previously rolling on some 320tpi Corsa's, they do ride well and tread life seems on par with what I would expect.

They have seemed to cut easier than other tires I've rode in this area but my sample size isn't large enough to say anything definitive there it could easily be luck. I did however have some tread separation start on one of them while it was pretty new otherwise and I wasn't very happy about that.

Still using them up on one set though I've run out of ones that are good enough for the front wheel, about time for some crappy rolling fall/winter rubber anyway though.

Also rolled around on some Veloflex Corsa tires this summer, probably not anymore durable than the Vittoria's in the long run but I do like them very much and will be seeing them again next year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
SBH1973 said:
You gotta wonder about QC at Vittoria. I mean, some of us are just having great luck with the Corsas, and others aren't. Who knows? My sense is that this is a high risk/high reward tire. I've had great luck so far, but that might just be it - luck. I decided to by GP 4000s as a replacement because it seems they are just more reliable, if perhaps not quite as supple.
I'd suspect just normal luck rather than QC - look at a Conti GP4000 thread and you'll see a similar range of experiences. One thing about customer feedback is that you might hear from some customers who are satisfied, but you'll certainly hear from almost everyone who isn't.

JB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
As for the comparison between Open Corsa and Grand Prix 4000. The GP 4000 (and also the GP 3000), are awful on wet pavement/asphalt and are godawful in the rain. Basically, Veloflex used the old Italian Vittoria factory and molds - the Record is the lightest clincher tire (130 grams) and has the highest threads-per-inch (350 tpi), but it's a 700X20.

I have no problem with 290tpi Open Corsas on wet pavement or in the rain on both wheels. I use a 700X25 on my rear wheel, and use a 700X23 on my front wheel. They are easy to put on than any Veloflex tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Cableguy said:
The only positive outcome to this, is I now consider myself a master at putting tires on wheels and have developed a very solid technique... still can't feel my fingers though.
Silly me, when I bought my first set of the Open Corsa EVO II's, I initially thought I had bought the 650 size instead of 700c because it was nearly impossible to put them on. My fingers, especially my thumbs, were all bruised up. A friend then taught me how to roll with my palms instead of pushing the last bit lip of tire onto the wheel. Right now, it probably takes me now more than couple of minutes to put a open corsa on. It's all about technique.

And you can tell a open corsa 700c tire is tight because Vittoria states a 622 bead diameter.
 

·
A wheelist
Joined
·
11,322 Posts
tjjm36m3 said:
Silly me, when I bought my first set of the Open Corsa EVO II's, I initially thought I had bought the 650 size instead of 700c because it was nearly impossible to put them on. My fingers, especially my thumbs, were all bruised up. A friend then taught me how to roll with my palms instead of pushing the last bit lip of tire onto the wheel. Right now, it probably takes me now more than couple of minutes to put a open corsa on. It's all about technique. And you can tell a open corsa 700c tire is tight because Vittoria states a 622 bead diameter.
My Vitts go on and off my BWW Race rims easily without levers but the same two tires are a pig to get onto my Kinlin rims. I got them on - just - without a lever but there is no way I'll get them of without one. It's the first time I'm carrying a tire lever for many years. So, as far as I'm concerned, it's the rim sizes and not the tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
I’ve used them a bit. They are a good rolling tire and one of the finest rides you can get from a clincher. I did have about 1 puncture every 1000 miles or so, but my biggest problem is that they only lasted about 700 miles on the rear, which is about two weeks for me. They are ok overall, but if you want a smooth rolling high TPI clincher with questionable durability Veloflex plays that game better. They are faster, lighter, corner better etc. I primarily use Ultremo R.1’s. Not quite as smooth, but they are faster, last longer (about 1100 miles for the rear), and I’ve only had 1 flat in 8,000 miles on them this season, which was likely my fault as the tire was slightly under inflated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,320 Posts
they are a very nice tyre, if i was racing with clinchers i would only use these or a veloflex pave

they do wear out pretty quickly and not the most puncture resistant tyres, though they are advertised as a race tyre so you shouldnt expect them to last too long anyway
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
If you look long enough online, you'll find them for substantially less that from Performance.

Not cheap by any means, but for about 40 less sold in pairs.

It's my favorite tire of all I've used, and a good idea to rotate the front to back at the right time to improve your ROI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Use Tire Liner if You Get Lots of Flats

I got flats every 4 or 5 rides w/ these tires. After getting a bunch of flats, I used a tire liner (Mr. Tuffy) and no more flats. They do wear really fast.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top