Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
This space for sale
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding Vittoria open corsa's and really like them however they do wear and cut up quite quickly. I'm thinking of trying the open paves. Is there any other tyre similar to the open pave you would recommend? I'd prefer 25mm.

·
This space for sale
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looks like the paves are the way to go

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Give them a shot, you never know until you try them. I like mine, one of the better tires I have ridden.

They are not super durable, but they get the job done. Plus you get a great ride and I am not as fearful riding through crud as I would be on say a Pro3 or a Bonty RXL, Vred Tri Comp or Open Corsa.

They are certainly not as tough as an Armadillo, Gator, Krylion, or pretty much any other tire for that matter. But for a great riding/holding/rolling tire, they are probably as tough as any supple tire I have ridden apart from say the Bonty RXL AC or the Conti GP4000.

I go through a lot of tires in a year, so I like to try different tires. I like ride quality, and holding/cornering/rolling characteristics somewhat balanced with toughness and durability. The two really can't be reconciled, so a realistic balance is what I look for. I'll take puncture and cut resistance over rubber durability/longevity and the Open Pave in the 290tpi version seems to offer a nice balance for me.

For clinchers my favorites are below:
-My favorite go fast tires are the Bonty RXLs or the Vredestein TriComps.
-My favorite last forever, never have to worry about a flat, but ride like frick'n bricks, winter tires are the Spec. Armadillo 4 seasons or the Pananracer Pacella (which is inexpensive as all hell too).
-My longest lasting tire WITH a really good ride is the Conti GP4000S. I can get about half a summer on a set which is saying something, But I just don't care as much for the ride and road feel as I get with the Bontys, Vreds or even a Michelin, and plus they are kind of pricy, and the wet traction is not good.
-My favorite All around don't worry about road conditions too much tire, that is reasonably durable and fast enough is the Open Pave or the Miche Pro2*. (*I always loved the Michelin Pro2 but I don't have any more - and I like the ride of a Miche Pro3 but have had terrible luck with them puncturing, but you can often find them for cheap.)

HTH
zac

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
the open paves dont wear much better than the open corsa in my experience

the ride feels about the same, the only real difference i found is the paves are nicer around corners when it is wet

personally i would go with the open corsa in 25

·
Registered
114 Posts
Pave on the front wheel, Conti GP4000 700x25 on the back --- that's the best combo if you don't mind the mismatch. The Conti doesn't corner as well as the Pave, but it has a much larger volumne so it's better on the bumpy roads I ride.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Open Pave has brought me through all conditions, including road descents and singletrack without a hiccup. Highly recommended...sweet road feel.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Open Pave's are pretty much the only tire I ride anymore. Not that I ride much....:mad2: Here in the PNW, they are the cats meow:thumbsup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just switched over to Open Pave 24C from Conti GP4000 25C. With about 150 miles on them so far, I can say they seem to have better rolling resistance but not as plush of a ride compared to the Conti's. The OP's are good and I'm completely satisfied with them, but on rough chip seal roads the Conti's were like riding in a Cadillac. If the roads you ride are in bad shape, I'd go with the Conti's. If you're looking for a fast tire and willing to give up comfort a little, go with the OP's.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had the same experience as 103. The Pave is a better tire, but it's actually only about a 23c. The Conti 25c has much more volumne --- it barely fits between my seat stays --- so it's great on bad roads. I wish they made the Pave a little bigger. I recently put a Vitt Corsa 25c on my front wheel --- awesome freakin tire, but I think maybe too delicate for the rear wheel.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
WeakSister said:
I had the same experience as 103. The Pave is a better tire, but it's actually only about a 23c. The Conti 25c has much more volumne --- it barely fits between my seat stays --- so it's great on bad roads. I wish they made the Pave a little bigger. I recently put a Vitt Corsa 25c on my front wheel --- awesome freakin tire, but I think maybe too delicate for the rear wheel.
There may be some variations due to the handmade process, and width of rim they are mounted on, but I have actually measured mine, and they are 25.2mm at around 115psi. This is the 290tpi version, perhaps the greater thread count version is a bit narrower.

They are noticeably wider than any other 23mm tire I have ridden.

I don't ride Contis in 25 so they could be wider, as the Conti 23 is a bit wider than a Miche or Bonty in 23.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts