Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanna see if can get some thoughts on this.

I have a set of pave cg tubs , the new ones with the black mid strip and green at the edge.

They were bought from new from an ex-clubmate.
They are the 28 x 25 version,
Glued them up and mounted them with Mastik. No sealant was added.The absolute max pressure was 120psi but usually in or around 100psi.
After a very short time (100kms) 1 flatted.The casing (not base tape) that is not in contact with the road but above the base tape split open and the tube popped out.
OK **** happens.
Changed that and
due to work and family commitments I only clocked up 5500kms last year.Zero issues with on that .
This week when I took out the wheels outta winter hibernation pumped up the rear to 100 and 500 mtrs down the road almost exactly the same happens.
Casing at the base tape has split open.
Both tubs with buckets of thread left - useless.
I understand that **** happens and tyres get ripped but its the cotton casing thats ripped.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I would look at the storage but
A) it happened to a brand new one
B) the other was left on the rim and stored in the attic.
My attic is chilly and not too damp or dry.
Plus they were only up there for a few weeks since last use.

The cotton casing seems to be literally falling apart on the tubs.

·
Registered
21,674 Posts
Just wanna see if can get some thoughts on this.

I have a set of pave cg tubs , the new ones with the black mid strip and green at the edge.

They were bought from new from an ex-clubmate.
They are the 28 x 25 version,
Glued them up and mounted them with Mastik. No sealant was added.The absolute max pressure was 120psi but usually in or around 100psi.
After a very short time (100kms) 1 flatted.The casing (not base tape) that is not in contact with the road but above the base tape split open and the tube popped out.
OK **** happens.
Changed that and
due to work and family commitments I only clocked up 5500kms last year.Zero issues with on that .
This week when I took out the wheels outta winter hibernation pumped up the rear to 100 and 500 mtrs down the road almost exactly the same happens.
Casing at the base tape has split open.
Both tubs with buckets of thread left - useless.
I understand that **** happens and tyres get ripped but its the cotton casing thats ripped.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I would look at the storage but
A) it happened to a brand new one
B) the other was left on the rim and stored in the attic.
My attic is chilly and not too damp or dry.
Plus they were only up there for a few weeks since last use.

The cotton casing seems to be literally falling apart on the tubs.
First thing that comes to mind would be brake pads not properly adjusted and therefore cutting into the tire sidewall. Next thing would be whether the tire sidewalls got abraded somehow when they were in storage.

Do you see any evidence of sidewall abrasion? It would look like fuzz from rubbing or actual cut casing threads.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply,Kerry.
Nope brake pads are lined up correctly.I have used the same wheels all year and have a defined brake track on my carbons rims they were glued onto. Glued with Vittoria Mastik as well.
For all the world t looks like the black latex coating is lifting and the cotton is rotting.
I will post a picture later.
I would put it down to storage or the damp weather we have here, in Ireland, but it happened to a new one and my other older style , with the green strip down the middle, was used on the front wheel in exactly the same conditions and is perfect.:confused5:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts