Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings guys,

My Diadora 'Ergo's' have just about seen better days and are in need of replacement. They were pretty good shoes, and still are, but want to try something different for a change. Was thinking about maybe Vittoria or Carnac in the less than $200 range. I looked on Nashbars site and spotted some Vittoria 'zoom' shoes, and also the 'zenith' shoes that look pretty nice. Anyone have any input on these? Dont necessarily need carbon soles (although that would be nice) but just something good. I wear size 10.5 and the Diadora 45 euro fits me good. For a big guy I have slender feet, so a wide toe box, or a wide shoe is not necessary. Thanks guys. :)

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
i bought the nashbar vittoria zoom shoes, the toe box is similar to my sidi's. i had problem getting the right cleat plate for look cleats so i sent them back after my 2nd ride. plenty of air flow through shoe and i liked them, but i have a wide foot. i would suggest northwave for narrow feet.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
I have an older pair of Vittoria Raider shoes which have been bullet proof. Had them for about five years with no issues. They don't have ratcheting buckles, only three velcro straps which have held up just fine. The shoes are stiff, ventilate well and, most important, fit my foot well. I have long narrow feet (12C) but big toes. I like a roomy toe box but need a shoe relatively narrow from the ball of the foot backwards, especially the heel. Vittorias fit the bill for me. No slippage, especially in the heel, while giving me good toe room. They fit snug but not too tight. I've used these shoes with two different pedals, Keywin and Time Impacts. Cleats mounted with no issues and worked well with both pedals. I do use Superfeet insoles but not because of the shoes. I just like them and use them in all my recreational shoes.

·
Registered
838 Posts
me too. I got a pair of Vittoria Raiders w/ a little cartoon of Il Pirata on the side some time around 2000 when my husband made me stop riding my new road bike w/ mountain bike shoes.

Not carbon, but some type of composite material. Fit my duck-shaped feet fairly well. Lasted until this year, when the sole started to come loose from the rest of the shoe. I don't know how long road shoes are supposed to last, but 5 years seems pretty good to me.

I swapped for Diadoras, and although they are gorgeous, I seem to have bought them too small. They feel fine standing up, but on pedaling, my toes touch the pointy end of the shoe. bummer.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
My model was the year before they started to put Pantani's logo on the shoe so I guess they must be '99's. My soles are good to go, no separation issues.

·
off the back
15,599 Posts
i bought a pair of the Vittoria CX shoes from Nashbar last year, size 42, same as my Times. but these were just a tad too snug for me. never having owned a pair of Sidis, I can only guess that these fit similarly, just a bit smaller than most shoes of the same size.

bought a pair of Vittoria Unlimiteds from Spoke and Sprocket on closeout online, size 43, and they fit pretty well. maybe i could use a 43.5, but i'm staying with these. they didn't agree too well with my flat feet until i put a pair of arch supports in them, the carbon heart just makes them too stiff. my feet would cramp up along the outer sole, towards the heel.

if you're going for anything from the Nashbar site, I'd go for the Vittoria Arrow, which is the previous year's version of my Unlimiteds, except with some changes made for Nashbar. no carbon heart sole, and a plastic buckle instead of metal. but the same price as the Zoom. i've been toying with the idea of picking up a pair of the mountain bike version, but might hold out instead for this years Vittoria Premiums, which are the newest version of the Unlimiteds, with all the higher end features. course, they'll cost a lot more than what nashbar is selling the Arrow for.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input guys, and ladies. :D

I had originally set my sights on the Diadora Team issue 'Giro de Italia' shoes from Bike tires direct, but they have run out of my size. It's going to be a few weeks yet before I spring for new shoes, so I got some more head scratching to do. I'm looking at Vittoria and Sidi right now, something with some cool colors, and stylish. Thinking real serious about the Vittoria 'zoom' in silver. They look pretty good.

Thanks again

·
I coulda did that myself
216 Posts
Good to hear someone mention Spoke & Sprocket. I've considered ordering from there but didn't know much of them as an online retailer.

Does anyone know how the Vittorias fit width-wise. Their website says they've changed the lasts to make wider shoes for American feet.

·
off the back
15,599 Posts
i'm toying with putting a pair of the Specialized inserts in mine. as i said, i have very flat feet, my foot tends to collapse inward, putting pressure on the ankle joint. without orthotics to support the arch, and keep my foot from collapsing, i wouldn't be able to walk without pain and tenderness in my ankle/achilles area.

my old Time cycling shoes were fine without orthotics, but my Vittoria Unlimiteds(last year's Premium) seem to be just too stiff, and causes cramping in my foot. Ultimately, i plan on getting a set of carbon fiber orthotics for them, but those are rather expensive, so until then i thought i might try the Body Geometry inserts with the highest arch.

Again, i don't have much experience with different shoes, but the Vittorias seem to run just a bit small, even with the newer lasts. my old Times were 42, but I needed a 43 with Vittoria. My guess is they fit fairly similarly to Sidis.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Too bad they changed their last for people like me. I'm not the typical wide footed american and Vittorias fit me well in the past. Guess I'll have to scratch them off my list for future reference.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have owned vittoria, carnac, northwave, sidi, shimano, and nike shoes. I would rate the carnacs above all the rest. You can't beat them for confort, performance, and durability.
My vittorias were short lived.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.