Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of a long-running retro project. I have a Vitus 979 that I am slowly building up with DA 7400, mostly.

I have all the major stuff except for the cranks. I was actually considering a compact set, maybe a Sugino from Velo-Orange. Thoughts on that?

My immediate problem is the shift levers. I have the proper DA 8-speed downtube shifters, but they have the mounts that assume a rounded tube. The Vitus has a flat surface where the shift bosses are. What part do i need for this? Can i grind down the concave mounts (sorry I don't have a picture of those)? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
52 Posts
You might be able to use everything from the 7400 lever assy except the rounded part that fits on the downtube.It's a separate part from the rest of the lever assy. Just leave the one on the Vitus as is. Do you have the levers yet?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
An old bike shop might have those mounts in "flat" that you need. That is looking to be one sharp bike.

BTW i had the same issue, i simply ground down a "round tube" mount and made it flat enough to work. In the end you really cant tell, even if you look really really hard.

That is going to be a sharp bike.

Bill

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I do have the rounded adapters, and I will probably grind them down. I may ask around some shops, but I have not found a shop that is very accommodating for those requests... :mad:

I will post more later. I also should mention that the wheels are tubulars, something I have no experience with (yet). Both tires lose air overnight, so I suspect I have a job to do patching them.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.