Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who is the target audience for this product. Bike shop in the area is touting Parlees built with vivax assist as a product that allows wives to come in cycling vacations, elderly to join group rides or recovering cardiac patients to ride the dolomites. I can't buy it. Think its people who want to cheat on Strava or get to the front on group rides without putting in the work. Am I too cynical? What do you guys think?

vivax Assist, Gruber Assist E-Bikes (Fahrradantriebe, Elektrorad )

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
I think it's Brilliant, until your Di2 wires get wrapped up in it.

·
Registered
20,781 Posts
Who is the target audience for this product. Bike shop in the area is touting Parlees built with vivax assist as a product that allows wives to come in cycling vacations, elderly to join group rides or recovering cardiac patients to ride the dolomites. I can't buy it. Think its people who want to cheat on Strava or get to the front on group rides without putting in the work. Am I too cynical? What do you guys think?
I think it's all of the above. I would seriously consider it for my GF as it would allow us to ride together more often.
And of course people would use it to cheat. But just about everything on Strava anymore has been cheated.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
When riding with most wives or weaker riders, the need for power assist to keep up is during the entire ride, not just occasionally. it does not appear that this will allow folks to train with stronger riders for long enough to be of much value.

A standard e-bike that will keep up for several hours at speeds in the mid 20mph range with 60% human input is a far better option for those who want to take cycling vacations in the mountains with stronger cyclists.

Regarding "people who want to cheat on Strava": I think you may be missing the primary value/point of Strava. When you realize that you are training against your own previous numbers (especially your power curve from last season) you'll begin to see the value.

E-bikes have been around longer than strava and any rear wheel with powertap would work for someone who wants to game the system. I'm pretty sure that my wife's e-bike would allow me to put any disc wheel with powertap and make Wiggins' power numbers look pathetic on any two hour climb ( I'm 72).

Strava has some validity when comparing with others on technical/twisting downhill segments and that is about it.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts

I would like to have one of these for just one day. Maybe put in on an old steel bike with down-tube shifters and a basket on the front. Then show up at a group ride with all the youngsters that usually drop me and then casually ride off the front

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I think at close to $3,000 it's marketed towards some slow rich people.

I think social pressure would resolve any "riding on the front of group rides" for most serious groups. Such a setup would not be welcome in any of the groups I ride with unless that person stayed well at the back.

Riding fast generally comes with putting in a lot of riding. That time spent riding generally means much better bike control. If someone riding 2k a year were suddenly able to swap pulls at 25 mph, I'd be quite worried about an incident as the skills of those riders that I've encountered leave a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
I think at close to $3,000 it's marketed towards some slow rich people.

I think social pressure would resolve any "riding on the front of group rides" for most serious groups. Such a setup would not be welcome in any of the groups I ride with unless that person stayed well at the back.

Riding fast generally comes with putting in a lot of riding. That time spent riding generally means much better bike control. If someone riding 2k a year were suddenly able to swap pulls at 25 mph, I'd be quite worried about an incident as the skills of those riders that I've encountered leave a lot to be desired.
So I have to be slow AND rich? I only meet half the criteria

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
I'm already fast, you're telling me I can get more fast?

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can't imagine the local club welcoming a rider showing up with a $20,000 Parlee z0 built with power assist.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
It's for all the idiots wanting to ride mopeds down the bike path.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts