Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VN, perhaps stating the obvious given the state of affairs in pro cycling, develops the concept of two racing leagues. http://www.velonews.com/article/77941/inside-cycling-will-pro-cycling-split-into-two-leagues

Not mentioned is the fact that half of the ProTour team licenses are up for renewal this year. If I owned a PT team I'd be hesitant to renew the license. The best races are ASO-affiliated races and some of the obligatory PT races are expensive and/or of limited advertising value - Tour Down Under, Tour China.

JSR

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
JSR said:
VN, perhaps stating the obvious given the state of affairs in pro cycling, develops the concept of two racing leagues. http://www.velonews.com/article/77941/inside-cycling-will-pro-cycling-split-into-two-leagues

Not mentioned is the fact that half of the ProTour team licenses are up for renewal this year. If I owned a PT team I'd be hesitant to renew the license. The best races are ASO-affiliated races and some of the obligatory PT races are expensive and/or of limited advertising value - Tour Down Under, Tour China.

JSR
Especially considering the talk of ASO getting control on Flanders as well, and are any of those ProTour races controlled by the same guys that control the GTs? If there is a split presumably they would take their other races as well, if any exist.

It's also a slanted article. While the point out what the PT has done for the Dauphine they fail to talk about any number of races, mainly in Spain, that the PT either completely destroyed or reduced to being nearly meaningless.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
JSR said:

JSR
1.34 billion people probably aren't worth advertising to. :D

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mootsie said:
They MAY be worth marketing to. But would a sponsor necessarily want to market to Europe, Australia, AND China? There is also a Russian tour planned for the PT.

I'm not against there being top-flight races in those countries, but the ProTour makes significant demands that might make it hard for the sponsors and teams to pony up. For instance, PT teams MUST participate in all PT races. That's a lot of dough to field a team in China and Australia and Russia, when the sponsors interest may be elsewhere.

JSR

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
You think more of them watch the Tour de France or Tour of China?
They probably watch both, but I bet the media coverage of an in country race is far greater than a Euro tour (granddaddy as it may be) and hence the reason why I would be hesitant to discount a race that has exposure to that many people.

·
Banned
2,241 Posts
Mootsie said:
Billions of dollars of joint venture money has disappeared down a hole chasing those Billion people, it is called "Chinese Math" So many lao wei have uttered these famous last words "If we just get 2% of the Chinese market"

The reality is the UCI has been pathetic in expanding the sport beyond it's European base.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I think the biggest crapper of this is the doping issue. Most of rider's doping is done off season because there are less tests done and a greater likelyhood of getting away with it. A splintered org. will create a larger gap in off season testing.

Now there is the snowball's chance in hell that ASO and UCI come to terms to support a 3rd party doping control system but... yea, right.

I'd say scrap the Pro tour all together. We've all seen that ASO will do whatever the @#^$ they want to. let the market (promoters) dictate the value of races. It will drive up purses as more developing(cycling sport specific) nations strive to get better representation at their events. Force events to contribute a % of the payout to the UCI which would fund the anti-doping program. No restrictions on what teams can show or pressured to be allowed. Let the UCI host 1 and only 1 race, the world championship.

·
Banned
2,241 Posts
fleck said:
I think the biggest crapper of this is the doping issue. Most of rider's doping is done off season because there are less tests done and a greater likelyhood of getting away with it. A splintered org. will create a larger gap in off season testing.
Perhaps you meant out of competition instead of off season? Doping in December is not a huge issue, March-July is much bigger. This is one of the primary flaws in the UCI's bio passport, all of the testing they did to set riders baseline levels were done in season, Mostly March and April.
fleck said:
Now there is the snowball's chance in hell that ASO and UCI come to terms to support a 3rd party doping control system but... yea, right.
They kinda already did, WADA. But now the UCI is in a stupid fight with WADA and the ASO is using both WADA and the FFC for in race controls....more confusion.

fleck said:
I'd say scrap the Pro tour all together. We've all seen that ASO will do whatever the @#^$ they want to. let the market (promoters) dictate the value of races. It will drive up purses as more developing(cycling sport specific) nations strive to get better representation at their events. Force events to contribute a % of the payout to the UCI which would fund the anti-doping program. No restrictions on what teams can show or pressured to be allowed. Let the UCI host 1 and only 1 race, the world championship.
That would be interesting. It is really too bad, the idea of having a universal governing body is a good one, too bad we got stuck with one as corrupt and self serving as the UCI. Some may forget that before the UCI made its naked power grab it was the Grand Tours that were at war....the UCI did what I never thought possible, unite the Grand Tours.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
bigpinkt said:
Perhaps you meant out of competition instead of off season? Doping in December is not a huge issue, March-July is much bigger. This is one of the primary flaws in the UCI's bio passport, all of the testing they did to set riders baseline levels were done in season, Mostly March and April.

They kinda already did, WADA. But now the UCI is in a stupid fight with WADA and the ASO is using both WADA and the FFC for in race controls....more confusion.

That would be interesting. It is really too bad, the idea of having a universal governing body is a good one, too bad we got stuck with one as corrupt and self serving as the UCI. Some may forget that before the UCI made its naked power grab it was the Grand Tours that were at war....the UCI did what I never thought possible, unite the Grand Tours.
yup, intended to say out of competition testing...
it will sure be intresting to see where the cards fall for this one.
either way, we'll still have top quality racing.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bigpinkt said:
The reality is the UCI has been pathetic in expanding the sport beyond it's European base.
True enough, but now that the PT is finally reaching those other countries its ability to provide a high-quality show is probably diminished. I don't imagine the PT will be able to field 18 first-rank teams in all those far-flung places.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.