Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I got a VOIP service like Vonage, my understanding is that I'd have to have the phone plugged directly into the router. The thing is, I have phones in 6 or 7 rooms.

The only option I can think of would be to have a main phone hooked up to the router and then just get the expansion handsets for every other room. Is this how it would work? That would pretty pretty expensive, especially since I'd be getting 5.8 ghz phones so as to not interfere with my wireless internet. I can't have my RBRing cut off while someone is on the phone...

PS - I love you, paint.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
You could do that OR, if your house is wired like pretty much every other house I've ever seen, you can just plug the TA into the nearest jack after you unplug the telco 'feed' at your telco service box. It's a VERY simple operation and I know that AT&T CallVantage gives you instructions for doing it.

Typically, phone lines are either wired in series within the house (jack to jack) or they are single shots to the feeder box all tied together under the same terminals. Either way it should work for you. Won't hurt to try it.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KenB said:
you can just plug the TA into the nearest jack after you unplug the telco 'feed' at your telco service box.
WTF does that mean?

Thanks.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
WTF does that mean?

Thanks.
TA = Telephone Adapter. It's the box that comes with your VoIP service. It will have at least two jacks. One will be where you plug your phone in and the other will be where you connect it to your network.

The telco service panel is typically a little gray box located outside of your house near your electric meter. It's about the size of a thick novel and will probably have a "bell telephone" symbol on it. One side is easily opened with a screwdriver - that's the "customer access" side. Once opened, you'll see a bunch of red and green (usually) terminals and short black "telephone" cables pluged into their respective modular jacks. One of those terminals and its corresponding plug will have a additional wires going to it. That is the one that's the feeder. You should know it when you see it. Once you identify it, it's usually the top one, unplug the plug. Inside, your phones should go dead. If so, you've done good. Close up the panel and head back inside. On the TA's "phone" jack, run a cable to the nearest phone jack. All of your other jacks should now be working again (provided your VoIP service is hot).

The reason to disconnect the telco feed is that it's powered and could harm the TA, especially if the line rings -- phone lines can give you quite a nasty shock on a ring because there needs to be enough voltage/milliamps to ring one of those old fashioned rotary phone bells that grandma still has.

This page has a couple pics of what your telco panel may look like. http://www.dslreports.com/faq/4787

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dang. My hice is old and ain't got no service box.

I need to figure out how to cut the house off from the outside world.

Blue/White are outside colors, right?

·
Poseur
1,677 Posts
It's easy

Somewhere you have a box your phone lines run into, and your phone service connects to. All you have to do is take the incoming wires off the terminals, and you willbe isolated from them. If you are scratching your head(and lets leave the scratching at that), usually if you have an underground service, the incoming tellco wire will have a copper sheath, if it's overhead, well, you're a moreon if you can't figure it out. If all else fails, call your phone company...............:)

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
TUT2222 said:
Somewhere you have a box your phone lines run into, and your phone service connects to. All you have to do is take the incoming wires off the terminals, and you willbe isolated from them. If you are scratching your head(and lets leave the scratching at that), usually if you have an underground service, the incoming tellco wire will have a copper sheath, if it's overhead, well, you're a moreon if you can't figure it out. If all else fails, call your phone company...............:)
I figured it out super fast. I can see where the outside wires come in. I assume if I pull those, my line will go dead.

Vonage is gonna rock mah fice in 2 days when the adizapter gets here.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
I figured it out super fast. I can see where the outside wires come in. I assume if I pull those, my line will go dead.
Either the phones will or you will, one or the other. I give you a.... 30% chance of survival.

:eek:

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KenB said:
Either the phones will or you will, one or the other. I give you a.... 30% chance of survival.

:eek:
You know what sucks bizalls? It takes forever to have my number switched over to Vonage... I have a 30 day free trial period during which I can get a full refund if I cancel, but if I don't get the number switched over, I'll still be using my land line (if I kill the land line I won't get phone calls to my old number).

The dumbass Vonage woman told me they would route calls to my Vonage line from my old number, but that just isn't true. Until the number witches over, all I can do is plug in one phone just to try it out, but I'm still stuck paying for and using my old service.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
Until the number witches over, all I can do is plug in one phone just to try it out, but I'm still stuck paying for and using my old service.
I went through the same issue when I switched to VOIP. I just used call forwarding to route all calls to my temporary VOIP phone number while waiting for my old number to port over.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
You know what sucks bizalls? It takes forever to have my number switched over to Vonage... I have a 30 day free trial period during which I can get a full refund if I cancel, but if I don't get the number switched over, I'll still be using my land line (if I kill the land line I won't get phone calls to my old number).

The dumbass Vonage woman told me they would route calls to my Vonage line from my old number, but that just isn't true. Until the number witches over, all I can do is plug in one phone just to try it out, but I'm still stuck paying for and using my old service.
I hear ya. Vonage doesn't hold a candle to AT&T CallVantage, IMO. I've been on CV for almost 2 years now and it's been fantastic. I've had my mother on Vonage for about 6 months and it's been less than stellar to put it nicely. They need to seriously improve their process.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
KenB said:
I hear ya. Vonage doesn't hold a candle to AT&T CallVantage, IMO. I've been on CV for almost 2 years now and it's been fantastic. I've had my mother on Vonage for about 6 months and it's been less than stellar to put it nicely. They need to seriously improve their process.
Dang. Why didn't you tell me that yesterday?

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
suds said:
I went through the same issue when I switched to VOIP. I just used call forwarding to route all calls to my temporary VOIP phone number while waiting for my old number to port over.
Good idea. I'll look into this.

Uhh, if I totally cut off my land line (i.e., pull the outside wires so my house is cut off), will the calls still get forwarded, or do I have to keep my land line hooked up and working for the calls to be forwarded?

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
Dang. Why didn't you tell me that yesterday?
I think I mentioned my issues with Vonage months ago. Don't get me wrong, the service works. I just think AT&T does it better. Of course, AT&T is $5 more/month, too and is not as widely available as Vonage.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
KenB said:
I think I mentioned my issues with Vonage months ago. Don't get me wrong, the service works. I just think AT&T does it better. Of course, AT&T is $5 more/month, too and is not as widely available as Vonage.
My parents were going to go with Comcast for VOIP, but I had them do Vonage instead because a) it's cheaper and b) I hate Comcast.

I didn't even think about AT&T. :mad:

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Yo, suds, answer my question, fool!

Also, did you set up the call forwarding through the Vonage account manager or with your old carrier?

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
My parents were going to go with Comcast for VOIP, but I had them do Vonage instead because a) it's cheaper and b) I hate Comcast.

I didn't even think about AT&T. :mad:
There's no contract with Vonage, right? See how it goes and dump them if they suck. You should be able to port the number very easily.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
KenB said:
There's no contract with Vonage, right? See how it goes and dump them if they suck. You should be able to port the number very easily.
If I cancel after 30 days but before a year is up, it's only $40 to cancel. Not a big deal since we'll be saving $50 a month.

Also, all the free crap you get when you sign up (no installation fee, free phone adapter), I think you gotta pay for that junk when you cancel within a year but after the 30 days, but I'm not sure.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
Yo, suds, answer my question, fool!

Also, did you set up the call forwarding through the Vonage account manager or with your old carrier?
Whether it will work or not depends on how the forwarding is done. If it's done at your phone, then you need the phone. If it's at the carrier level -- have to dial *something-something then it should work regardless of the phone. Easy way to test it is to forward to your cell, unplug your phones and have someone call you.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts