Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorite pair of shorts are my Voler Teams which are 7 or so years old. At the time, Velowear was offering basically two types of shorts, and the sizes were S/M/L.

So I just went to order some more, and it is confusing! They have:

At least 6 different types of chamois:
Ion SL Pad
Ion Pad
Monolith
Torino Pad
Cantara XM
Maybe more, I got bored clicking through to all the shorts.

Six sizes, and it looks like Small, my old size, means something different than it used to. Some versions have extra small - some don't.

There are also a gazillion different types of fabric and two different types of fit (peleton and team).

I don't know how many combinations that is, but it seems like it would cost me $1000 just to find out which ones I like best. At this point I might as well buy Assos. At least they figured out what was best for me and sell just that.

It's not very confidence-inspiring when a company has this big of a product line. Also, a lot of them look like Power Rangers outfits or enormous advertisements now.

Does anyone happen to know what would come closest to my existing Voler Team (plain black, one logo on it), size Small short from several years ago?

Thanks.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Ive been using the Marquee II Peloton Bib Shorts for several years and they have been great.
Nice fit, durable, comfortable and excellent price at $60.

View attachment 160721
VOLER Marquee II Peloton Bib Shorts

John

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
OP: The Avanti Pro short is probably most like what you have been wearing. I have the Elite DX and the Marquee bibs and both are very comfortable. If you don't mind the Voler logos on the legs, the Marquee is a great buy. Otherwise, give the Avanti Pro a try. Good thing about Voler is that they include a postage paid envelope to process returns if the size you order doesn't fit.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I always just order the least expensive Voler bibs. The latest ones I got have the Torino pads, which are the best yet. A friend tried some of their Elite shorts and didn't like them as much as the cheaper ones.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I have several pairs of Voler bibs with several different pads. I wear a small also and the fit is the same for each pair. I just purchased a new pair a few weeks ago that were a special run and they have the most comfortable pad by far, but I can't seem to find it in any of their other bibs.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have several pairs of their Avanti shorts, and one pair of their Marquee II bibs that say VOLER on the legs. All purchased in the last 2 years. The cheaper bibs have the thicker pad--still a nice shape, but noticeably thicker than the pad in the Avantis. I ride with either but personally prefer the thinner pad and the cut of the Avantis. Voler has such a generous return policy I think you should order one of each, try 'em on over your undies, eat the Tootsie Rolls in the package, and send one back if you don't like it.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have an older pair of Voler bibs with the Cantara pad, and a couple of newer Marquee II bibs with the Ion pad. I much prefer the lower tech Cantara pad, but Voler is phasing that pad out. (You can still get them, but only with specific graphics that I do not care for. I want the more generic graphics). Do any of you know which of their other pads (Ion SL or Torino) is most like the Cantara in feel.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I have two Avanti bibs. Got them on sale for under $40.00. When I know I'm due for bibs I just start watching for sales and snap them up. They go fast. The Performance Elites or Ultra's are nice also. I prefer the chamois in the Performance. The Voler fit and wear better. I've owned several Voler shorts and bibs and the chamois seems to be on the light side, no matter which model.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Gimme Shoulder said:
.... an older pair of Voler bibs with the Cantara pad, and a couple of newer Marquee II bibs with the Ion pad. I much prefer the lower tech Cantara pad,....
Me too. I had many pair of Volers with the old pad (as did many friends) wnd we were all happy with them. Then I ordered a pair with a "better" pad that was all black. Not sure what they call it but it sucked.

That's the last pair of Voler shorts I ever bought.

And since Assos is changing their short, the old models have been on sale.

I "invested" in some of those. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.