1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
FNG
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08354.html
http://lookcycle-usa.com/keoupgrade

Hi All,

First off, I apologize for the inconvenience this will cause some of you, but please take a look at the links above and follow the instructions to identify if you have an axle that is included in this recall.

I do not know why the CPSC announcement only mentioned the black pedals, but this voluntary recall applies to ALL KEO CROMOLY AXLE PEDALS MANUFACTURED BEFORE JAN. 2006. We have contacted the CPSC with this information, so an updated announcement should be posted soon.

If you have any questions about which models are affected, or how to identify if your pedals are subject to this recall, please visit our website at: http://lookcycle-usa.com/keoupgrade/. IF YOU ARE IN THE US, you will be able to identify which dealer in your area is an authorized service center. The dealer locater feature will be live shortly, so please check back if you are not able to find a dealer. In addition to roughly 200 bicycle shops, we have enlisted 100 REI locations around the country as authorized service centers.

IF YOU ARE OUTSIDE OF THE US, please contact your local bike shop, or the local distributor in your country for further instructions.

If you have any questions after checking out www.lookcycle-usa.com/keoupgrade, we are available via email at [email protected], or by phone at (866) 430-5665. From the main menu, please dial "4".

Again, we apologize for any inconvenience causes you.

Best Regards,
[email protected]

·
likes to eat donuts
893 Posts
Hello Look USA.
I live in Canada and would really like to find out how I will resolve this issue with my Keo pedals, since your website only provides information for authorized service centres in the US, and we cannot call the number that you've listed from Canada.
I contacted my LBS (La BicIcletta) here in Toronto, and they say that they do not know or have not yet heard how Canadian customers will have their pedals serviced or axles replaced.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
chas said:
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08354.html
http://lookcycle-usa.com/keoupgrade

Hi All,

First off, I apologize for the inconvenience this will cause some of you, but please take a look at the links above and follow the instructions to identify if you have an axle that is included in this recall.

I do not know why the CPSC announcement only mentioned the black pedals, but this voluntary recall applies to ALL KEO CROMOLY AXLE PEDALS MANUFACTURED BEFORE JAN. 2006. We have contacted the CPSC with this information, so an updated announcement should be posted soon.

If you have any questions about which models are affected, or how to identify if your pedals are subject to this recall, please visit our website at: http://lookcycle-usa.com/keoupgrade/. IF YOU ARE IN THE US, you will be able to identify which dealer in your area is an authorized service center. The dealer locater feature will be live shortly, so please check back if you are not able to find a dealer. In addition to roughly 200 bicycle shops, we have enlisted 100 REI locations around the country as authorized service centers.

IF YOU ARE OUTSIDE OF THE US, please contact your local bike shop, or the local distributor in your country for further instructions.

If you have any questions after checking out www.lookcycle-usa.com/keoupgrade, we are available via email at [email protected], or by phone at (866) 430-5665. From the main menu, please dial "4".

Again, we apologize for any inconvenience causes you.

Best Regards,
[email protected]
Class Act - hopping on the forum to announce this.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I called the LBS that is the listed pedal service center. They said they've been trying to get in touch with Look, but haven't heard back. They know nothing more than is on the website. I'll call back tomorrow. I gather that the LBS will ship to Look and then they will be shipped back for pickup.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I didn't have an official service center near me, so I emailed Look USA Tuesday to get advice. I got a reply back from Chas himself. He contacted my LBS and got replacement axles to them (overnight!), and now I'm on the new, improved axles.

My LBS hadn't heard anything initially, either, but I'm guessing since it's an entirely voluntary recall, it doesn't get the news coverage like a car recall...

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,041 Posts
I looked at all of my Keo pedals and all of them have right pedals that have date stamps from 2005 but all of my left pedals have date stamps from 2006. There's one pair of Carbons and the rest are Classics. Are my pedals subject to this recall or just the right pedals?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Squidward said:
I looked at all of my Keo pedals and all of them have right pedals that have date stamps from 2005 but all of my left pedals have date stamps from 2006. There's one pair of Carbons and the rest are Classics. Are my pedals subject to this recall or just the right pedals?
I suppose just the right pedals... I have two sets of Keos I got at the same time, and both left pedals were dated 6/05 and the rights 11/05.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I got my two sets of 04's fixed this weekend. It's fast.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yep, it is fast, but I sure would be curious to know how much more the new pedals weight.
Mine were done over very quickly by the local REI, but visually, it appears that the upgrade involves a steel rod placed into the center of the axle to strengthen it.
One does receive new bearings in the deal, so I guess I should not complain, but they sure do feel heavier now.
Hopefully someone out there will do a before and after weigh in and let us know if that is true.

·
FNG
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JoeyBuck said:
Yep, it is fast, but I sure would be curious to know how much more the new pedals weight.
Mine were done over very quickly by the local REI, but visually, it appears that the upgrade involves a steel rod placed into the center of the axle to strengthen it.
One does receive new bearings in the deal, so I guess I should not complain, but they sure do feel heavier now.
Hopefully someone out there will do a before and after weigh in and let us know if that is true.
That piece you see is just a small aluminum rod that is pressed into the axle as an identifier. Since the new axles look exactly like the old axles, we had to do something to indicate whether a pedal from 04 or 05 had already been serviced. The weight difference is about a gram per axle.

[email protected]

·
Registered
714 Posts
chas said:
That piece you see is just a small aluminum rod that is pressed into the axle as an identifier. Since the new axles look exactly like the old axles, we had to do something to indicate whether a pedal from 04 or 05 had already been serviced. The weight difference is about a gram per axle.

[email protected]
Weight weenie throwdown!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just finished checking Paula's pedals and she's good to go.

Those date codes are pretty hard to read! I used the Macro mode on my digital camera to snap a few pics. I could see the 5/06 date one hers when I viewed the them on the 'puter. :D

It does suck to be blind! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Squidward said:
I have the exact same situation. And I'm concerned that if I just get the right pedal axle/bearings replaced, that they will wear unevenly (mine have probably 4-5k miles on them already).

Chas: any chance of those of us in the boat getting Look's authorization to get both axles replaced at the same time? Thanks, Drew.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Has anyone heard of any instances of these puppies failing? I do know a burly ex-NFL guy out of our local shop who broke *two* pair. Granted, the guy is just huge, all muscle and has broken numerous wheelsets as well.

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
A guy in Maryland that weighs 250 broke a pedal axle and Look sent him a check for the pedals, the messed by bike parts and kit, and a little bit extra for the pain and trouble associated with the wreck.

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
I went into my local REI today with 4 sets of Look pedals that need to have the axles replaced. One set of Look Keo Sprints and three sets of Look Keo Carbons. They took care of the Sprints within 10 minutes, but told me I would have to wait 3+ weeks to have the Carbons fixed because they were out of axles and Look says they will not have any more replacement axles until 3+ weeks.

Luckily, or unluckily depending on how you look at it, I have 2 pairs of 2007 Look Keo Carbons that I can use. Obviously, this entire thing has me pretty pissed off and wondering how much Campy pedals cost and how good they are.

You would think that Look would have thought about how many pedals they manufactured in 2004 and 2005, and made a decent effort to have enough spindles on hand for this recall.

·
FNG
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
fabsroman said:
I went into my local REI today with 4 sets of Look pedals that need to have the axles replaced. One set of Look Keo Sprints and three sets of Look Keo Carbons. They took care of the Sprints within 10 minutes, but told me I would have to wait 3+ weeks to have the Carbons fixed because they were out of axles and Look says they will not have any more replacement axles until 3+ weeks.

Luckily, or unluckily depending on how you look at it, I have 2 pairs of 2007 Look Keo Carbons that I can use. Obviously, this entire thing has me pretty pissed off and wondering how much Campy pedals cost and how good they are.

You would think that Look would have thought about how many pedals they manufactured in 2004 and 2005, and made a decent effort to have enough spindles on hand for this recall.
Hi fabsroman,

Unfortunately, there were a couple of compounding factors that resulted in the Carbon axle shortage. First, the initial response to the recall announcement was much greater than anticipated. None of us at Look USA have been through a recall before, but the lawyer who is assisting us with all of the required legal documentation has said that there has been a far greater percentage of people responding to this recall than he is used to seeing.

Second, the timing of the recall happened to coincide with the August shutdown in France. As you may know, August is a holiday month in France and almost every business closes, including Look France and their neighbor in Nevers who manufactures the axles.

The good news is that some of the people who returned early from their holiday are back in the office in France and have expedited more replacement axles to the US. We expect to have them tomorrow (8/27) and will begin shipping them to all of the service centers at that time.

We really do apologize for the hassle, and we're doing everything we can to get more replacement axles out to the field.

[email protected]

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
Chas,

Trust me, I understand about Europe and their holidays and lunches. I was in Italy 7 years ago and tried to find a grocery store at lunch time to get something to eat. They were all shut down. I ordered a Colnago at the beginning of August 2006 and had to wait almost 3 months to receive it because the factory was closed for all of August. I'm in the process of buying a C50 from Colnago, and it is the same thing. So, I understand that the guys in France are on vacation.

I also understand about lawyers/attorneys, since I happen to be one.

Is the attorney a cyclist? If not, that is probably why he didn't understand the demand that there would be for the pedal axles. While I am 150 lbs, and the likelihood of a pedal axle breaking on me is very slim, I still have dreams where it breaks in the middle of a sprint and I go down hard or it breaks in the middle of a group ride on a hard climb, I cause a wreck and a car behind us takes a couple of us out. So, that is why I'm not very inclined to take the risk, no matter how small it is.

If possible, can you send me a PM when axles go out to the REI in Rockville, Maryland. I waited 10 days too long to go in there because they ran out of axles on 8/16/2008, and I don't want to wait 3 weeks like they instructed me to if they will be receiving axles in the near future.

I guess it is a good thing that I have the Sprints fixed and I have 2 pairs of 2007 Keo Carbons that I can use. If I had to be off the bike for 3 weeks, I wouldn't be a happy camper.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.