Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of the 5-6yr old voodoo bike on ebay? I have a Hoodoo mtb from that time (20001 I believe) but am worried about how hard the cross bike has been ridden. I looking for a 52cm cross bike (and have been for some time), I like the kona Jake the snake ,which I've ridden but would rather buy a used bike. Can't make up my mind, I've also ridden the Lemond Poprad and Axis but think I can get a deal on a used one on ebay? I hate myself for being so fickel. My LBS says it will be mid March to get the Snake so that comes into play. What should I do here in Ft. Worth TX.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Lemond probably just as good

Tom Theodore said:
What do you guys think of the 5-6yr old voodoo bike on ebay? I have a Hoodoo mtb from that time (20001 I believe) but am worried about how hard the cross bike has been ridden. I looking for a 52cm cross bike (and have been for some time), I like the kona Jake the snake ,which I've ridden but would rather buy a used bike. Can't make up my mind, I've also ridden the Lemond Poprad and Axis but think I can get a deal on a used one on ebay? I hate myself for being so fickel. My LBS says it will be mid March to get the Snake so that comes into play. What should I do here in Ft. Worth TX.
I would say just get a poprad, new or used, should be pretty similar to a old voodoo, but newer models are available. Just check which fork comes on it I think some of them come with an aluminum fork, and a decent steel fork or carbon fork might be a better choice. Both bikes were columbus or reynolds tubing, newer ones truetemper I think on the poprad. The poprad, axis and jake should be available used on this site or e-bay, just find one that fits and decide on aluminum or steel.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
Buy the Wazoo. It's steel and the fatigue life is long. It comes from the Chicago area so ask specifically about rust and whether it was used much for winter road riding. The Rev-X wheels will be okay but I'd suggest Ebaying them (they usually fetch a nice price) and picking up a set of 32-hole DA hubs laced 3x to Open Pro rims as a replacement. Also ask about the fork. It's probably heavy and steel. You could pick up a cheap carbon (Nashbar carbon CX) and make the bike a lot nicer.

A Kona or Poprad will be an inferior frame to this vintage Wazoo.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
The fork on this Wazoo is Columbus steel, not terribly heavy, but it's a noodle compared to the Kinesis fork that was on the earlier incarnations of the bike. If you're not a Clydesdale, though, it might suffice. If you've really got the itch for this bike, I'd say "go for it", but my recommendation otherwise would be to wait for another earlier model, like a '99 (Reynolds 853), to come up for sale--IMHO, the ride was vastly superior.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts