Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to try some new tires, and I keep hearing good things about Vredstein Fortezzas. But they make them in two flavours, Road and Tricomp. Weight Weenies suggests the weight difference is about 10g, but the Road tires apparently have more sidewall protection, so I'm inclined to go with those for everyday training.

Any experience with these tires, and any preferences between the Road and Tricomp?

I also notice they take up to 145 psi and prefer higher pressures. Any recommendations on tire pressure with these tires?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,509 Posts
rossb said:
I'm looking to try some new tires, and I keep hearing good things about Vredstein Fortezzas. But they make them in two flavours, Road and Tricomp. Weight Weenies suggests the weight difference is about 10g, but the Road tires apparently have more sidewall protection, so I'm inclined to go with those for everyday training.

Any experience with these tires, and any preferences between the Road and Tricomp?

I also notice they take up to 145 psi and prefer higher pressures. Any recommendations on tire pressure with these tires?
The Fortezza is 260 gm in a 23, while the TriComp is 250, a minor difference. The TriComp is the higher line tire - priced about 20% higher and considered to be the better performer, though only slightly so. Pressure recommendation is pretty much independent of max rated pressure: 90-110 psi and if you get pinch flats, go to a larger size. Higher pressures result in poor handling, discomfort, and faster wear.
 

·
Off the back
Joined
·
326 Posts
TriComps are quite tough

I get far fewer flats with the Tricomps than the garden variety cheaper Fortezzas. I went cheap once; not again. Highly recommend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
I ran the Fortezza SE all last season with only one flat. A buddy of mine who puts a whole lot more miles on than I do had zero flats. YMMV.

I run 120psi in my Fortezza (non-SE) tires, same as in my SEs. I'm about 235 pounds. My 160-pound friend runs 110psi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
I tried the Tricomps. Had a very bad experience. Many flats including pinch and foreign bodies. Ran the tires at 130lbs. Saw one guy pump these up to 165 and blow them off his rims. Check with the rim manufacturers. Rims are often rated for signicantly lower pressures than these tires. You can have problems with high pressures with rims that are not designed for these pressures.
I am now happy with the Continental 4000s. Weigh 205 and run them at around 130. No pinch flats.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
i been running tricomps for 6 months now, and love them. i did get flats more often then other tires i have used, but now i run a liners and no flats. also i'm 190+/-, and run my tires at 165psi with no troubles.

tommy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments. I've ordered some Tricomps, and will be interested to see how they compare to the GP4000s which I'm currently using (and like a lot).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Orb said:
I ran the Fortezza SE all last season with only one flat. A buddy of mine who puts a whole lot more miles on than I do had zero flats. YMMV.

I run 120psi in my Fortezza (non-SE) tires, same as in my SEs. I'm about 235 pounds. My 160-pound friend runs 110psi.
I had the same experience with my Fortezza SE's. No flats so far, I'm on my third set. I run 125 psi, 175 pounds. I don't think there's any benefit to inflating them any higher.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
vitdoc said:
I tried the Tricomps. Had a very bad experience. Many flats including pinch and foreign bodies. Ran the tires at 130lbs. Saw one guy pump these up to 165 and blow them off his rims. Check with the rim manufacturers. Rims are often rated for signicantly lower pressures than these tires. You can have problems with high pressures with rims that are not designed for these pressures.
I am now happy with the Continental 4000s. Weigh 205 and run them at around 130. No pinch flats.
Just because it's capable doesn't mean it's recommended. Pump'g to 165, well... he got what he asked for. Tell him about the Vred concrete clinchers that can be molded to a rim; no worries about flats ever again.

Glad you found a tire that works. For me, it's the Tricomp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
santabarbara said:
Just because it's capable doesn't mean it's recommended. Pump'g to 165, well... he got what he asked for. Tell him about the Vred concrete clinchers that can be molded to a rim; no worries about flats ever again.

Glad you found a tire that works. For me, it's the Tricomp.
The Vreds have a max of 175psi or so, but not all rims are rated that high. They recommend running 145psi in the TriComps (assuming your rim can take that much pressure). I think you'd be surprised at how smooth they are at that pressure. I was, and I'm not a small guy (220lbs or so).
Haven't flatted yet. Having said that though, I'm sure I'll flat tomorrow on my ride. Sweet.

BN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been using the Fortezzas for a couple of months now, trying different pressures to see how they feel. I've been up as high as 130/120, but have gradually lowered it to the same 110/100 I use with my other tires (I weigh 165). I didn't notice any improvement at the higher pressures, but a definite loss of comfort.

I have generally found these to be excellent tires, very grippy in wet and dry conditions, if a slightly harsher, less smooth ride than the GP4000 (which on balance I think I prefer).

One thing I am still not clear on is whether I have the Tricomp or standard Fortezzas. The box said "tricomp technology", but the box looks different to the Tricomp box, and there is no "tricomp" on the (all black) tire, it just says "fortezza". Anyone know which one I have?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
I have used Tricomps for the last three years, Only one flat and the tires are fantastic. I run them at 145psi and tried some lower pressures but 145 is fast, smoother and corners better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
I used to have a pair of Tri Comps on decent wheels (700C) - they don't last that long, probably because they are 120 tpi (threads per inch).. And they are very heavy - I weigh mine using a very accurate scale, and one tire weighed just under 260 grams. I mounted them anyway using very lightweight tubes (70-80 grams) - bad mistake.

I have on my my bike one Veloflex Pave 700X22 (300 tpi, 180 grams, 118 max psi) on my front, one Specialized Mondo Pro .700X23 (120 tpi, 210 grams, 125 max psi) on my rear - it was reasonably cheap - $30. The one thing I never liked about Continental clincher tires is they have a maximum psi of 122-124, and they only come in 700X23 at every store in town, they are sort of expensive (Grand Prix 3000). Whereas Vittoria Open Corsa (290 tpi, 230 grams) have a maximum psi of 142 (10 bar).. I think Grand Prix 3000 or 4000 (the 3000 are on sale, a little weight penalty, many 5 to 10 grams) are a decent high mileage tire. I biked over 3,000 miles on my GP 3000's, the Tri Comps 800 miles, and the Paves 1,800 miles.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top