Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear Open Corsa 320 tpi just got retired this afternoon. Too many cuts and it was blowing up tubes left and right. Almost made it to 1000 miles. I want to try something that is just as light and fast ( cause the corsa's spoiled me with the speed ) and it looks like a good candidate may be Vredstein's Fortezza tricomp ? What about the Conti GP 4000?

Anyone have experience with both?

Appreciate it.

Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Tanner, I've been riding the FTC's for 5 years and won't ride anything else. I'm 6'3 and 205 so I like the fact that you pump them up to 160psi ! But seriously, I've had very good luck with
no flats, the prs technology works pretty good. I tried the Conti 3000 GP's and wasn't impressed, so I haven't tried the 4000's either. The mileage for the FTC's is about what you'd expect for a performance clincher. 2K - 3K. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
192 Posts
I used Open Corsas last year (290TPI version). The were very fast, rode A+, but wore
quickly and cut easily. This year I am using the FTC. The ride is also superb, perhaps
just a micron less so than the Corsa, they seem a bit more durable, although they are
very slightly heavier. Differences start getting pretty minute and hard to quantify at this
level.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I too am riding the FTC's and am very happy with them. I weigh close to 250 so I appreciate the fact that I can pump them up to 145psi. What I really appreciate about them is that they are very easy to mount on my Velocity rims.

·
Perpetual Three
677 Posts
Another option to the GP4000 is the GP Attack/Force combo. Its similar to the 4000 tires, still Black Chili, Vectran, and all that. I'm surprised I don't see it mentioned more.
I just put on a set a month ago and I'm very happy with the setup. The front tire is a little narrower and has a tread compound for handling while the rear is a bit wider and has a tread compound for durability (I think). I like the ideas that the front and rear tires each do a different job and should be specced appropriately.

I'm not the most discerning rider, but the road feel is definitely lighter than my old 25c GP4000s and its not noticeably different than my tubular wheels/tires

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New FTC's

Took the Tri Comps on their first journey today. Also it was my first group/peloton ride ever. They rolled awesomely. They felt like I was riding on clouds, well kinda. Very spongy but quick. They only have 60 miles on them but so far they are great!

·
Registered
168 Posts
tanner3155 said:
My rear Open Corsa 320 tpi just got retired this afternoon. Too many cuts and it was blowing up tubes left and right. Almost made it to 1000 miles. I want to try something that is just as light and fast ( cause the corsa's spoiled me with the speed ) and it looks like a good candidate may be Vredstein's Fortezza tricomp ? What about the Conti GP 4000?

Anyone have experience with both?

Appreciate it.

Mike
Tri Comps are a great balance between all the good attributes you want to look for in a good tire. Michelin Pro Races maybe roll a little faster...maybe a little more supple, but they cut easier. GP3000/4000 seem a little stickier, but the ride's a little harsh and they wear pretty quickly. Tri Comps not the best in any one category, but do everything pretty well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts