Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
aka Zoo
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do the redo the commendation on the prime time coverage, why don't they just keep the original feed with Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwin? They sound a heck of a lot more interesting to me. I would also think that it would save them a lot of time and money if they didn't have to do it twice.

·
Registered
417 Posts
That's the question I have been asking for many years......it's much worse with Hummer though!

·
MTBR Member
3,124 Posts
jsedlak said:
It is a simple question if you ask me... do you want to hear about the daisies and farmer art or do you want to hear about the bike race?
Honestly, i think i would rather hear about farmer art than listen to the interviews they do with team directors and such.

Unfortunately, I don't have a method of recording the morning broadcast.

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
Stupid DVR didn't record the morning feed, so I had to listen to the gapped tooth moron and mr I never shut up even though I know nothing about cycling. :mad:

Johan was good though.

Roll was much much much worse then I would have expected. He's terrible.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
i get tired of hearing phil and paul repeat the same "liggettisms" and "sherwinisms" for 27 hours straight.
i think hummer and roll do an excellent job because they discuss much more than just a play-by-play and color analysis of an entire 5 hour death march stage and at least bring a little levity to the prime time coverage.

·
Registered
543 Posts
The thing that bugs me the most about the prime time coverage is that they end up talking about random things and forget to comment on what is actually going on in the race. Phil and Paul do a much better job keeping with the action.
Having Johan there is a nice change but Hummer keeps on asking him about Lance which gets a little old.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
It would be better is Craig Hummer had at least a small amount of cycling knowledge. And at least 10 times during every stage he mispronounces George Hincapie's last name. I can understand him mispronouncing the non American riders names, but you would think he could get the Americans right.

·
What? Me worry?
815 Posts
The commentators are all OK by me. What I find disgusting is that VS tends to focus on horrendous crashes as the sole reason cycling is a tough sport. Their "Red, White, Black, and Blue" thing really irritates me. Worse still is the whole "Tap Out" promotion. Those people are really trash. Of course the repetitious SAAB commercial which in itself is repeated every 15 minutes gets on my nerves too. I do find the red-neck who rides the Polaris ATV amusing. I wonder how many cycling fans are into ATVs? Maybe they're shooting for the Tap Out crowd.

·
mosca
168 Posts
StillRiding said:
The commentators are all OK by me. What I find disgusting is that VS tends to focus on horrendous crashes as the sole reason cycling is a tough sport. Their "Red, White, Black, and Blue" thing really irritates me. Worse still is the whole "Tap Out" promotion. Those people are really trash. Of course the repetitious SAAB commercial which in itself is repeated every 15 minutes gets on my nerves too. I do find the red-neck who rides the Polaris ATV amusing. I wonder how many cycling fans are into ATVs? Maybe they're shooting for the Tap Out crowd.

I know what you mean. are they trying to convince the Tap Out and huntin' and fishin' crowd that cyclists are not sissies in spandex but just as rough and tough as cagefighters and bullriders by showing these awful crashes over and over? it's ridiculous.

I do like the time trial commercial with David Millar speaking in the background, "if you redline too long the engine will blow". That's not too bad.

1,130 Posts
Somebody tell Hummer to relax

The guy is so nervous he keeps making mistakes. The "Hincapie" pronunciation was an embarrassment for George!

Bobke's cool. Needs to pay more attention, though, to what's going on and make a bigger contribution. Poor Hummer has to carry the load.

As for Phil and Paul, they are classics -- but I want them to slow it down. I could use a little air time. They do their commentary as if it were a radio broadcast (maybe it is, back home in Britain) -- nonstop chatter.

And while were at it, bring back Kristen Whatzername! Keep The Cutters in retirement, though.

The Saab commercial ... how many times has it run? I feel like I know the woman.

·
yup
2,739 Posts
One of the comercials I found odd and amusing to be putting in a cycling broadcast is the kid that finds the old gas guzzler on the side of the road, rides his bike to the the parts store repeatedly, and fixes it until he can drive that old POS around and no longer needs to ride a bike!
Not a complaint really, VS really can't be choosy with advertisers, but seems as though the parts company (Napa? can't remember) would have chosen a better broadcast for thier parts placement. Unless they think we all would drive if we only could....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.