Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was catching up on the latest on the Tour on TV and I happened to "go over" on my recording machine and catch some of the next broadcast on VS..Some 'sports news and commentary" show with a couple of those shaved-head goatee types and a pumped-up gal, sitting around talking oh so predictable cliches and trying to sound cool.
The first segment was about the Tour and the happenings with Schleck's chain, etc. was the subject. So these All American dick-h***s started making fun of Euros and their "quaint" way of competing...Said stuff like..."They should grow a pair" and "Wassup wit diss Marquis of Queensberry stuff...? If your competator goes down, you should stomp on his throat, win"

Then they made some fun of Andy Schleck's being angry..."Oooh, Gee...a 6'1 one hundred forty pound man is gonna kick my ass?....I'd be soooo worried..." or some such condescending stupid remark. Then they went right into Armstrong's doping case...Like that is the Real Cycling News....

What a bunch of Moreons! Just cause it ain't murikan football or UFC or NASCAR..it is somehow less Macho? Love to get one of them on a bike and take him up some mountain road, see how macho he rides...watch him puke on his dorky goatee...

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Sadly, it's the norm for a lot of news and sports. They don't know $#!+ about the subject and don't care. Real journalism is too much work and it's not what they're about anyway. Instead they fill the time with over the top statements, opinions and other irrelivent blather while finding themsevles incredibly fasinating.

Did just describe Ann Coulter? :eek:

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Macho Test

Gnarly 928 said:
Love to get one of them on a bike and take him up some mountain road, see how macho he rides...watch him puke on his dorky goatee...
Actually the better choice would be the 60 mph descent down the other side. Let him try to get the stains out of his polyester Hollywood slacks.

·
Gronk SMASH!
1,973 Posts
It's America, and this is cycling.

Have a look at the USA Today sports section. They get at least one important thing dead wrong in their brief Tour De France write-up every single day. Today, they had a picture of Contador with the caption "Alberto Contador, winner of Stage 15."

We just kind of have to live with it, even from the network that broadcasts the cycling.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Look at the rest of the Versus line up. This is exactly what the cage fighting, bull riding, bass fishing, extreme moto watching folks want to hear. Why are you surprised? I am amazed they give up almost the whole of July for cycling. Goodness knows they only give us 3 hours a week all the rest of the cycling season.

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
If the show is "The Daily Line" and the woman on the show is JENN STERGER than a simple google search yields 2 nekkid pics of her about 7 results down. Now naturally I didn't look at the pics myself, but I've heard they are saucy :D

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Yeah, I saw a bit of that show last week. Sadly, most American sports shows are geared toward the pumped-up, ultra macho, homophobic, meathead frat dude type. After they leave the frat they continue to work on their chest and biceps, grow a gut, lose their hair, shave their head, grow a nice goatee and mock anything that isn't manly.

Between watching tons of idiots who don't know squat comment on the World Cup and now having to do the same with the TdF, phew...I'm pretty tired of hearing fools talk about sports they don't know or follow.

The annoying thing is that my favorite sports - ice hockey, cycling, soccer - pretty much get ignored until something bad/odd happens. Then everyone jumps in and calls for rule changes. "Yo man, what is up with injury time?! That sheeeit is so stupid man, just put the time on the board!!"

Ugh, shut up and go away and leave all the sissy sports to us sissies;)

Best just to ignore them, as those shaved head amped up cage fighting dudes aren't going to get anything about cycling anytime soon.

·
Administrator
12,954 Posts
MaddSkillz said:
This thread is awesome.

I too have a lot of disdain for Americans perception of Cycling.
sweet irony

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
but but ?

I read here that Cycling is now huuuuge in America thanks to LA

·
Registered
469 Posts
nOOky said:
If the show is "The Daily Line" and the woman on the show is JENN STERGER than a simple google search yields 2 nekkid pics of her about 7 results down. Now naturally I didn't look at the pics myself, but I've heard they are saucy :D

That more than makes up for the fact hat she can't speak English. Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Other than cycling forums where we all get worked up about the details, the public could care less. Today the local sports radio show spent 2 minutes on Lemond and his accusations of "steroids in pro cycling." They summed up their opinion in two words, "Who cares?"

Once Lance is out of the peloton you won't need to worry about being dissed because mainstream media will go back to not mentioning it whatsoever.

·
Registered
58 Posts
easy dude...

theBreeze said:
Look at the rest of the Versus line up. This is exactly what the cage fighting, bull riding, bass fishing, extreme moto watching folks want to hear. Why are you surprised? I am amazed they give up almost the whole of July for cycling. Goodness knows they only give us 3 hours a week all the rest of the cycling season.
Please go easy on the cage fighting thing. MMA is a physical chess match where athletes carefully pick and choose from many of their pugilistic arsenals. It takes quite a bit of sweat and blood to be able to execute a subtle game plan to pummel your opponent. :thumbsup:

I've been following cycling ever since Greg LeMond bursted onto my living room TV with John Tesh overly dramatic instrumental as the back drop. I enjoy riding my bikes as much as I enjoy watching the elites of the sport go at it.

Poor excuse for a sports show not withstanding, I appreciate Versus for carrying two of my favorite sports. If they showed amateur wrestling and swimming on a regular basis, I'll be hooked.

Now let us "surgically" direct our attention to people who deserves our scorn. :)

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
JohnHemlock said:
Other than cycling forums where we all get worked up about the details, the public could care less. Today the local sports radio show spent 2 minutes on Lemond and his accusations of "steroids in pro cycling." They summed up their opinion in two words, "Who cares?"

Once Lance is out of the peloton you won't need to worry about being dissed because mainstream media will go back to not mentioning it whatsoever.
Good point, that.
Dunno if that's an improvement or not...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
"The Daily Liar", I watched about 20 minutes of the show and that's enough. Hosted by a punky geeks. Oh and Jen should dye her hair blond, what a ditz.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
nOOky said:
hmmm Google image search has been updated... nice!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts