Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can VS be so anti doping? They make fun of all the dopers, playing their moments backwards in the promo commercial. However they use Frankie Andreu (doper) as one of their main commentators! That seems dirty to me.

I am very anti drugs, however I am very skeptical of the French labs. Frankie on the other hand admits to using.

Do you think that's right?

Craig

· Registered
5,270 Posts
I really hate that ad. For one, it just focuses on the handful of big guys who happened to be caught. Also, at the moment it's very convenient for VS to be anti-doping, but are they going to give back the money they made from broadcasting races won by dopers? Of course not.

Implying that the doping problem has been caused by a handful of "cheaters" totally misses the point.

· Registered
3,245 Posts
I haven't seen that ad in the last few days. They've been running the jump out the car @ 45ad. Do you think they got the word that it was not well recieved?

· Clear Lake, TX
3,288 Posts
jd3 said:
I haven't seen that ad in the last few days. They've been running the jump out the car @ 45ad. Do you think they got the word that it was not well recieved?
Maybe, but I think people were just getting sick of that sappy song... I know I sure did!

:mad2:

· Banned
109 Posts
It looks like VS strategy to taking back the tour is not talking about doping. If you werent pay super close attention, you'd have never noticed that another rider was thrown out today.

I guess the new anti doping strategy is just not talk about it.

· Registered
638 Posts
I wonder if they nocied all the bad being said about the commercial as well. This is about the third post to talk about it on this forum alone and I know that I wrote VS an email telling them that I get what they were going for but the add has no class at all and makes them look terrible. Especially using the clip of zabel with his kid. Although they sure dont seem to mind having zabel in the tour as theyre running the ads.

· Registered
507 Posts
I think the bike crash ad fits in perfectly with the rest of the tapout/smakdown bada$$ ads on
Versus. If it's being run in other time slots maybe it will convince some ******* that cyclists aren't wimps. And perhaps some cyclist might not get run off the road.

· Banned
608 Posts
If they stopped pimping Armstrong every few minutes that would help. It makes their anti-dope message ridiculous.

· Registered
930 Posts
Greggb said:
Watching live coverage this morning and no mention of Ricco testing positive. Once again proving VS strategy for "take back the tour" is sweeping all doping under the rug. Insert fingers in ears, mmmmmmmm
They covered it in the pre-race show and spent a good deal of time about it too.

· Banned
177 Posts
mtbcraig said:
How can VS be so anti doping? They make fun of all the dopers, playing their moments backwards in the promo commercial. However they use Frankie Andreu (doper) as one of their main commentators! That seems dirty to me.

I am very anti drugs, however I am very skeptical of the French labs. Frankie on the other hand admits to using.

Do you think that's right?

Craig
I have more respect for those like Andreu, Millar, and Riis who had the courage to step up and admit to using than those who have remained silent despite evidence to the contrary.

· Registered
51 Posts
yes it's fair imo since the ad is running durning the TdF and the ad points to recent "TdF" dopping cases. i think the ad only meant to point out recent doping cases involving the Tour. Sure their are plently of other cases of doping but the point is the "anti-doping" stance.

maybe an "important" rider will think twice about doping, if VS gets a little anti-doping pro-active, can't hurt!

· Bea Arthur's Army of Evil
236 Posts
Lumbergh said:
What about Tyler, Roberto, Tricki and the othe ex USPS Dopers?
Given the footage in that commercial, it looks like they focused on people that got popped at the Tour. Tyler was popped at the Vuelta in 2004, Heras was popped at the Vuelta in 2005. Trikki was popped after the commercial aired.

· Registered
98 Posts
Millar

Did anyone else notice that when that ad first aired they showed David Millar going backwards onto the TT starting ramp? I thought that was in bad taste, given how he has turned himself (and the sport) around. It seems like they cut that out after a few days. I wonder if people (or maybe even David himself) complained.

· Registered
678 Posts
Frankly, I would think Bobbe would feel a tad uncomfortable with all the anti-drug talk. He knows Larnce very well, has always been a huge Lance supporter and certainly knows the real story on Lance....not to mention all the other pros he has been friends and teammates with for the last couple of decades.

I understand that "everyone" was doing it for a long time....but it must feel a little strange having to condemn it on-air when he's known the real story for years. Better for everyone to come clean about what they knew, what they did....and start over. People will forgive when you do so. Look at Millar.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.