Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

My future wife and I are planning a post-wedding riding trip in early October, probably to VT, although we'd think about a jog into NH as well (driving from Kingston, ON). Would bring both MTBs and road bikes. Any suggestions for destinations, must-hit traiils and roads, preferably within short driving/riding distance of each other?

Thanks.

· Registered
203 Posts
The whole Warren / Waitsfield area (just south-west of Montepelier) is cycling heaven. Look here and scroll down to the "Velo Vermont routes" section. All of those are in the vicinity of Warren / Waitsfield. The various gaps (Appalachian, Lincoln, Brandon, Middlebury, Rochester, etc.) will give you a serious workout.

I'm not a MTB'er at all, but that area is home to three big ski areas (Sugarbush, Stowe and Smuggler's Notch), along with a couple smaller ones. Some form of MTB-ing must be available on those mountains. None of them are more then a 30 minute drive from Warren / Watisfield.

· Registered
192 Posts
VT riding

If you're going to be near the Burlington area, I'd highly recommend checking out the riding just south of there. Lake Champlain is gorgeous, and every road except Routes 7 and 116 is very enjoyable to ride. You can ride smaller roads all the way from Burlington to the area around Vergennes (which, by the way is a nice little town; don't miss Eat Good Food cafe, as the owners are cyclists and real nice folks too), and also further south towards Middlebury.

I'd second the Waitsfield area, and add that you might also explore the area around Camel's Hump mountain. The riding throughout this area is tops, but bring your climbing legs, cause it ain't flat.

For mountain biking, the Catamount bike/ski area is pretty nice.

If you're interested, call the folks at either Earl's cyclery (Williston) or the Ski Rack (Burlington), two good local shops. I'm sure they wouldn't mind offering some riding advice.

Best of luck.

· Registered
192 Posts
Road riding in NE/NW Vermont.

800lbgorilla said:
Thanks for the suggestions.

Any good road riding in the Burke/Kingdom Trails area? Or maybe we'll do a couple of days around Burlington, and a couple more around Burke.

Thanks again.
I haven't spent that much time in the NE Kingdom, but it's quite, umm, rural...even by VT standards. I'm sure you'd find some great rides if you just step out the door of your hotel/tent/B&B, etc. as it's all quite scenic.

In Burlington, you'll get a nice mix of small city life and a New England postcard (which is a good thing). Also, as long as you don't try to ride it on a weekend afternoon, the Burlington Bike Path is very nice, as it follows Lake Champlain, and eventually dead-ends out on an unfinished causeway in the middle of the lake. It's worth a short ride in the early morning. Also, I'd skip route 7 south of Burlington (both driving or biking) as it's very congested and heavily trafficed. Try taking Spear or Dorset st.; I'd recommend the second for a nice road ride south. Riding on long stretches of 7 or 116 is a bit dicey, as they are main transport routes (milk trucks, SUV's, you get the idea), but you can use them to transfer to better, emptier roads. Also, Shelburne Farms (in Shelburne...) is a nice side trip if you like easy hiking/easy walking; it too is located on the Lake. There's no biking there, however, even though it's listed as a destination in some local guidebooks. The folks there are very nice and very patient, so please respect their wishes (hint: it's not a public park) and bring sneakers instead of your bike :)

Bring a road bike and a mountain bike, and you'l have a blast anywhere you ride.

Best of luck, and if you need specific information or ride/route suggestions, feel free to post questions here and I'll try to respond.

ps - if you like MTB climbing (and I do mean climbing) try Sleepy Hollow in Huntington (http://www.skisleepyhollow.com/mountainbiking.html), the view from the top of the climb makes it worthwhile. Also, I believe they have a cabin that is available for rent at the top.

These folks have some good information available as well, the local VMBA chapter: http://www.fotwheel.org/trails.php

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.