Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had completely forgotten about this race and went to look at at the current gc standings expecting to see Botero/Sevilla/Hamilton at or near the top after watching that video interview with them on velonews.com a couple of months back.

what a joke...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road.php?id=road/2008/may08/colombia08/colombia088

Tyler Hamilton, the Olympic champion from less than 4 years ago finished in 109th place 12:42 down on the winner in a 31km tt. Sevilla finished 15th, 3:54 down, and Botero isn't even in the race anymore. Seriously, what's the point? Why don't these guys just give it up? Whether or not they actually doped, it sure looks bad when you make a "comeback", promise wins, and fail to deliver in any of the races you target.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
read the RR website..

it's hilarious.. Botero dropped out of stage 2! His director said he trained hard for Redlands and Tour of Ga. and needs a break.. LOL

What about VandeVelde and those other pros that have ridden many more difficult races and are now doing the Giro.. Dave Z was going to do the Olympic TT and he has been doing a lot of races.. What a joke.. They need to get some good serious riders.. Selvia (SP) seems to be the only one taking things seriously.. Good on him!!

·
Registered
12,083 Posts

·
What offseason?
534 Posts
den bakker said:
They have a world champion, a classics winner and a GT winner on the team and they are mocking around in Colombia. Yes it's "that bad"
In fairness, they have a TT world champion that took his title 6 years ago, and a classics winner that won LBL with someone elses blood. They do not have a GT winner (Sevilla was 2nd in the Vuelta, but never won.) None of those prominent riders have produced results since their names were associated with Fuentes. Rock Racing probably would have been smarter to invest their money in younger talent, but you can't say that mocking around in Columbia is an especially bad for them... the team has never even raced in Europe and Columbia makes Southern California look like Kansas.

·
Registered
15 Posts

cycledog81 said:
I Wished they showed the profile! When I was kid I remember doing parts of theis stage on my mountain bike in order to get to the mountain bike trails. The hill in this part of the country are crazy.
Too bad theirs so much violance and theif I would love to take my nice road bike now and ride those passes.

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
magnolialover said:
Methinks a lot of you misunderestimate the toughness of racing in Columbia.

+ about 8 million. Many many many hotshot Euro pro's have been embarrassed / humbled by the altitude, steepness, heat, humidity and fastness of the Colombian fields.

There's a reason such a relatively poor and small country keeps cranking out top-tier climbers for the Euro peloton year after year.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Exactly...

Creakyknees said:
+ about 8 million. Many many many hotshot Euro pro's have been embarrassed / humbled by the altitude, steepness, heat, humidity and fastness of the Colombian fields.

There's a reason such a relatively poor and small country keeps cranking out top-tier climbers for the Euro peloton year after year.
Exactly.

I think world's was held there once, and many of the very top tier pros (who all still raced the world championships at that time) more or less opted out. Why? Too hard of a race and terrain.

Those Columbian guys will rip the legs off of many top pros without thinking about it when going uphill.

I used to race against this guy from Columbia. He was so-so, nothing special. Until the road went up, even a little bit. Sure this was regional stuff only, but when he would jump away, nobody could stay with him going uphill, it was amazing to see and watch. I did see him drop several protour riders on medium to longish length climbs.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Creakyknees said:

They have produced a number of very good climbers but I wouldn't say they crank out "top tier" climbers year after year. A handful have been quite successful (Botero, Ivan Parra, etc.) in Europe going back to the 80's, but most Columbian riders who travel to Europe can't match the European climbers and burn out after a couple of years. I would also imagine that doping controls in Colombia are far less strict than in Europe.

As for the 1995 World Championships in Bogota, the pros didn't skip it because they were afraid of riding in Colombia, some skipped it for the usual reason in that is was held way late in the season in October, others because traveling to Colombia after racing all season in Europe is a pretty big ordeal. Despite this there was still an excellent field and Olano won the gold in the RR ahead of Indurain and Pantani....not sure who the top finishing Colombian was.

Racing in Colombia may be very, very hard but there's nothing harder than a European Protour race and most of those Colombian guys would get dropped if they raced one, be it a mountainous or flat race. The ones that are good enough get picked up by European teams who are racing their b and c squads in South and Central America and usually end up on European continental teams. The best of the best get a contract with a Protour team and those are the ones we see in the big races.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.