Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Not a single Vuelta thread, but I've been watching most of it since I WFH :) I really don't think Roglic will be able to defend to the end even though he won the last two editions. I would love to see Kuss win a stage. Today was a spectacular stage, and my heart goes out to Alejandro. That was a scary crash, he was visibly rattled and shook his head when a new bike was offered to him. This is going to be a good tour. Comments and predictions anyone?

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
It’s always a great tour! I was so upset about Valverde... This may be it for him?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
It’s always a great tour! I was so upset about Valverde... This may be it for him?

That's what I was thinking. It would be a shame to end such a long and illustrious career with a crash. Valverde has been one of my favorite pros for a long time. Lets me believe that us old guys can still compete.

·
Registered
681 Posts
It was upsetting to see him go out like that. Lucky he didn't hit that guard rail badly. He is a fighter and I anticipate he will come back and finish on his terms when he is ready. I hope.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
It was upsetting to see him go out like that. Lucky he didn't hit that guard rail badly. He is a fighter and I anticipate he will come back and finish on his terms when he is ready. I hope.
Funny how you say it, yeah, agree 100%, I found myself rather upset by this crash and the implications for Valverde. Just seems a little unfair...

·
Registered
681 Posts
What do you mean by unfair? It was an accident that took him out of a grand tour that happens unfortunately. Just curious. I still think and hope we will see him again.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Alejandro has a broken collarbone which was operated on. The Doctor who did the operation said everything went well and no complications. He and the staff expect Alejandro to have a full recovery from that injury.
Adriano Malori expects Alejandro to return next season as long as he can recover from his injuries.
There is a video some local amateur cyclists took today of where Alejandro crashed. They filmed the crack in the road that caused the crash and how lucky he is that he only has a broken collarbone from it.

As for my thoughts on the rest of la Vuelta. I hope Mas finishes on the podium, but otherwise I don't care.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
What do you mean by unfair? It was an accident that took him out of a grand tour that happens unfortunately. Just curious. I still think and hope we will see him again.
I guess unfair is the wrong word... It is road racing... Sad maybe. Crappy.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Alejandro has a broken collarbone which was operated on. The Doctor who did the operation said everything went well and no complications. He and the staff expect Alejandro to have a full recovery from that injury.
Adriano Malori expects Alejandro to return next season as long as he can recover from his injuries.
There is a video some local amateur cyclists took today of where Alejandro crashed. They filmed the crack in the road that caused the crash and how lucky he is that he only has a broken collarbone from it.

As for my thoughts on the rest of la Vuelta. I hope Mas finishes on the podium, but otherwise I don't care.
I thought this was going to be his last season? He certainly can still compete at his level!

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
He'd been talking about racing next year. That talk had started a few months ago.
That’s great! Great news! I’m hoping he does race next year and I’m wishing him good results!

Reactions: KoroninK

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
For an update on Valverde. He had surgery on the broken collarbone on Saturday. The doctor said it went well and he expects a full recovery. The doctors at the hospital will be over seeing his recovery. The doctor also said he expects Valverde to race next year. He said something about Alejandro doesn't want the bike or injury to tell him he has to stop that he wants to retire on his own terms and not be forced to retire. This is a link to the article, however, the article is in Spanish.

·
Super Moderator
19,535 Posts
I'm starting to think Roglic is too aggressive a descender. As a ski jumper, I'm sure he loves to go downhill fast. Problem is he doesn't have the bike skills to do it safely.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
I'm starting to think Roglic is too aggressive a descender. As a ski jumper, I'm sure he loves to go downhill fast. Problem is he doesn't have the bike skills to do it safely.
I’m a big fan in part for this reason. He loves to race. He isn’t looking down at his power meter and making best calculated decisions in all instances, sucking the life out of a bike race. He’s going for it with gusto. Love it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I’m a big fan in part for this reason. He loves to race. He isn’t looking down at his power meter and making best calculated decisions in all instances, sucking the life out of a bike race. He’s going for it with gusto. Love it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Today was the perfect example!! Day after a nasty crash... Did the stage win really matter toward the GC? Nope. Not at all. Zero. Sprinting against Mas on a 25% grade? Stupid, given the tour goal. Sit back, watch the power meter... But the guy loves racing bicycles. Instead of sucking the life from a tour he breathes life into it. Love the guy! Big hugs with Mas, there is a boat load of class in this peloton

Love this race!!!!

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
I enjoy watching Roglic as well. The cynic in me questions how two guys from Slovenia can be this dominant at once, but I try to ignore it and just enjoy their riding styles. Both are fun and well rounded. My guess is he will win in the end. The two guys in front of him have limited skill sets and weaker in comparison. They will probably crack at some point. We’ll see though.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts