Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
I enjoy watching Roglic as well. The cynic in me questions how two guys from Slovenia can be this dominant at once, but I try to ignore it and just enjoy their riding styles. Both are fun and well rounded. My guess is he will win in the end. The two guys in front of him have limited skill sets and weaker in comparison. They will probably crack at some point. We’ll see though.
2 guys? Look deeper... It’s a tiny country chuck full of world class athletes. But I’m not cynical.

Rough stage today with another crash for Roglic. I’m telling you.... best of the world tours.

Unrelated? Anyone know why Spaniards erect big bad azz walls around their houses?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Yep, great stage. I knew Bernal would try something but Roglic hasn't shown any signs of weakness. Oh yeah, tomorrow should be another good one.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm really digging the Orbea paint jobs for Euskaltel-Euskadi. This is rumored to be their new aero bike, and I don't think they're riding them every stage.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
I'm really digging the Orbea paint jobs for Euskaltel-Euskadi. This is rumored to be their new aero bike, and I don't think they're riding them every stage.
View attachment 480659
That is pretty slick. I bet it’s one of those camouflage jobs in an attempt to hide features of the new design though and won’t be a paint scheme you can actually buy. Orbea makes good bikes, so it will be interesting to see what they release.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
That was a fun finish. Angel Lopes, Roglic, Bernal, Mas, De La Cruz, Storer and company put on quite the show. I enjoyed that last 10 or so KM as much as I have enjoyed any racing this year.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Wow, I haven't heard of a rage-quit like that since, I don't know, Rohan Dennis? David Millar?
Props to todays winner, gutsy move.

Reactions: KoroninK

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Wow, I haven't heard of a rage-quit like that since, I don't know, Rohan Dennis? David Millar?
Props to todays winner, gutsy move.
Welcome to Movistar Mr Lopez, where you race your teammates.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Only thing that makes sense, I mean he had a teammate... Maybe they decided to race for Mas who made the split and let Lopez go rather than risk bringing Bernal (et al) back into the leading group? Maybe they just couldn’t manage that task?

I don’t recall Lopez having tantrums before? Maybe I’m wrong...

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Welcome to Movistar Mr Lopez, where you race your teammates.

The helpers were all well back. Remember 3 of Movistar's riders had crashed out of la Vuelta and they only brought 2 mountain helpers to begin with. Valverde crashed out in week 1 and Verona crashed out about 4 days ago. The helpers left were roulers. Erviti, Rojas and Oliveria. Enric Mas was not going to be asked to help Lopez. When the group Rojas was in caught the group Lopez was in Rojas did attempt to help, but the time gap was too big at that point.

Lopez is known for being very hot headed and having tantrums. This isn't the first time. He's punched fans (which well deserve it), he's said things several times in which he's had to apologize later.

As Mas was a designated leader and 2nd overall with a decent to good time trial they were never going to ask him to help Lopez at that point. They weren't going to risk Mas' podium spot because Lopez got caught out. As I said the other 3 riders left in the race for the team had been dropped a long time before that as they aren't climbers.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
The helpers were all well back. Remember 3 of Movistar's riders had crashed out of la Vuelta and they only brought 2 mountain helpers to begin with. Valverde crashed out in week 1 and Verona crashed out about 4 days ago. The helpers left were roulers. Erviti, Rojas and Oliveria. Enric Mas was not going to be asked to help Lopez. When the group Rojas was in caught the group Lopez was in Rojas did attempt to help, but the time gap was too big at that point.

Lopez is known for being very hot headed and having tantrums. This isn't the first time. He's punched fans (which well deserve it), he's said things several times in which he's had to apologize later.

As Mas was a designated leader and 2nd overall with a decent to good time trial they were never going to ask him to help Lopez at that point. They weren't going to risk Mas' podium spot because Lopez got caught out. As I said the other 3 riders left in the race for the team had been dropped a long time before that as they aren't climbers.
Great explanation!

Reactions: KoroninK

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
It’s definitely in the same league as Dennis for enigmatic weirdness. But nobody could throw a bike like Millar.
I had to check your statement for accuracy, and it appears you are correct. I remember Bjarne Riis's toss as well, which only went about ten feet. Robert's toss went at least twelve feet.
Bjarne's toss comes at 0:50, nd actually I think it only went about six feet.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
LOL! It must be a weekend.

I had to check your statement for accuracy, and it appears you are correct. I remember Bjarne Riis's toss as well, which only went about ten feet. Robert's toss went at least twelve feet.
Of course winner of the award for Bike Throw With The Most Panache goes to Bradley Wiggins.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
This was a nice race and dominant win in the end. My question for you all now is this: is Roglic a hall of fame type rider at this point? He has a Palmares that includes 3 straight grand tour wins, multiple one week grand tour wins, multiple grand tour and stage race wins, multiple national champ jerseys, a TdF podium (and near win), etc. If he makes the list where does he rank among the greats and/or modern standouts?

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Question #2: Are Landa and Barnet still legitimate grand tour leaders to build teams around?
No, I don’t think so. Of course it depends on your goals as a team... some teams could find acceptable success with one of these riders at their core. But realistically, a world tour team with ambitions, no, I don’t think so. Close. But no.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
This was a nice race and dominant win in the end. My question for you all now is this: is Roglic a hall of fame type rider at this point? He has a Palmares that includes 3 straight grand tour wins, multiple one week grand tour wins, multiple grand tour and stage race wins, multiple national champ jerseys, a TdF podium (and near win), etc. If he makes the list where does he rank among the greats and/or modern standouts?
Wonderful race!! Vuelta is always like a pleasant surprise, it’s not as stodgy or predictable as the other two. I love this race more and more every year.

Roglic has incredible accomplishments for someone who came to the sport rather late. He has a few more prime years in him too, I think. If not now, than certainly in a year... I’m biased, I’m a definite fan... He is there now, but if it’s debatable, I suspect he will put that debate to bed in another season or two...

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I'm a fan of his and definitely think he's a Hall of Fame rider, I just hope he can have this fitness next July.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts