Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alejandro Valverde Belmonte got the win for today's stage.

That's all I know though. Gotta check the GC etc but it looked like a bunch mountaintop sprint that he pulled away from..

I only caught that part on justin.tv and as usual, some asshats are saying Valverde only wins nothing important. Yeah, La Fleche Wallone and LBL and such are crappy races. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yeah I was seeing that too. In all caps no less.

It was a nice win, Rock did some nice attacks but Valverde's team controlled very well.

Brian

·
Registered
458 Posts
I guess Astana can thank Caisse for the help today at the end. So now that Valverde has his win will the others make Astana control all the way tomorrow to set up some excitement? It'd be nice for a small group to get away on the last climb.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ProRoad said:
Yeah I was seeing that too. In all caps no less.

It was a nice win, Rock did some nice attacks but Valverde's team controlled very well.

Brian
Yeah, I don't know the GC yet but it seems like it was a bunch sprint on the mountaintop.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
coop said:
I guess Astana can thank Caisse for the help today at the end. So now that Valverde has his win will the others make Astana control all the way tomorrow to set up some excitement? It'd be nice for a small group to get away on the last climb.
Thank Caisse? What for? Coz they drove the pace because they wanted to give Alejandro Valverde a shot?

That's just like a sprinter's team reeling in the group for their top dog.

Unless of course, there's more to it than what I can gather as of right now.

·
Registered
458 Posts
uzziefly said:
Thank Caisse? What for? Coz they drove the pace because they wanted to give Alejandro Valverde a shot?

That's just like a sprinter's team reeling in the group for their top dog.

Unless of course, there's more to it than what I can gather as of right now.

I understand them wanting to get their guy (Valverde) the win, but with Gutierrez sitting in 6th 1:17 back and Valverde 2:07 back and on his first race of the season it didn't really make sense to me. I know stage wins are important for sponors and egos, but in such a short stage race with a chance at GC it would seem more important to play that card. JMO.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
coop said:
I understand them wanting to get their guy (Valverde) the win, but with Gutierrez sitting in 6th 1:17 back and Valverde 2:07 back and on his first race of the season it didn't really make sense to me. I know stage wins are important for sponors and egos, but in such a short stage race with a chance at GC it would seem more important to play that card. JMO.
Nahhh..

It was a bunch finish and Astana reeled the guys in pretty good.

They were all about together in the main group anyway by the time Caisse D'Epargne drove their train.

It was for a win. Not too steep Cat 2 finish, plus big bunch, plus no weakness from Astana today = Stage win for Valverde at best and they knew it by that time.

Better a win than not working and losing this shot even.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,267 Posts
My guy won ... yay. Hope this business with CONI and OP is done with. I'm such a fan boy that when Valverde's Spanish Champ Caisse jersey went on sale I bought one. It's the only jersey I've ever bought specifically because of a single rider.
<------------------------

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Einstruzende said:
My guy won ... yay. Hope this business with CONI and OP is done with. I'm such a fan boy that when Valverde's Spanish Champ Caisse jersey went on sale I bought one. It's the only jersey I've ever bought specifically because of a single rider.
<------------------------
Ha. I like their jersey too. I'm more of a full kit kinda guy. If I'm gonna get the top, I'll want the bibs too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts