Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is it about the vuelta that turns me off? part of me thinks its the crappy picture when i turn on the tv. but another part is just dulled after the excitement of the classics, the beauty of the giro, and the drama of the tour. i would rather have a bunch of one day classics-style races now, not another stage race.

i find myself fast forwarding to final 10k. i know i shouldnt, but i cant stomach the picture...

·
Registered
442 Posts
I didn't even know it was on. I'll have to check it out later on after work on Universal. No HD Universal SUCKS!

·
Registered
661 Posts
weltyed said:
what is it about the vuelta that turns me off? part of me thinks its the crappy picture when i turn on the tv. but another part is just dulled after the excitement of the classics, the beauty of the giro, and the drama of the tour. i would rather have a bunch of one day classics-style races now, not another stage race.

i find myself fast forwarding to final 10k. i know i shouldnt, but i cant stomach the picture...
+1. I hit the fast forward button then feel guilty for doing so.

·
Registered
750 Posts
+1 on all that, I've never been stoked on the Vuelta. Maybe if they ran it with national teams instead of trade teams it would be a better lead-in to the worlds.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
There's no law saying you must get excited over a bike race.

I'm the same way; for a few riders it's their almost last chance to salvage their season / get a contract for next year, so it can make it interesting in that respect.

But I think most of the peloton is just phoning it in.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Any bike racing on the TV is better than no bike racing on the TV.

I agree, though, that the picture quality on Universal sucks. I don't have HD but the TDF on Versus looked like it compared to Universal.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Let's quit crying about picture quality on Universal Sports. Just a few years ago there was NO Giro and NO Vuelta on TV, it was a two-hour highlights show on OLN/Versus. Then cycling.tv came along and what a rip off that was with all the tech issues they could never sort out. Personally, I'm stoked that Universal seems committed to pro cycling, carrying the Giro and Vuelta and UCI cyclocross races. They also covered Tirreno-Adriatico earlier this year.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
It's definitely not as exciting for me as the first 8 months of racing.

But, I watch online on EuroSport and it is another chance to hear King Kelly announcing:)

That sounds cool to me to race as national squads. I like that idea.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
fornaca68 said:
Let's quit crying about picture quality on Universal Sports. Just a few years ago there was NO Giro and NO Vuelta on TV, it was a two-hour highlights show on OLN/Versus. Then cycling.tv came along and what a rip off that was with all the tech issues they could never sort out. Personally, I'm stoked that Universal seems committed to pro cycling, carrying the Giro and Vuelta and UCI cyclocross races. They also covered Tirreno-Adriatico earlier this year.
Direct TV Customer here : I wish I could watch it - then I'd be able to complain as well! :cool:

·
Registered
706 Posts
It's a picture quality thing. I know it's not Universal's feed or fault, so I am thankful just to be able to watch. I'm often wondering if Steve and Go-Go are taking guesses at who's in the frame? This is horrible for the sponsors. Often the riders just appear like one big blob.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
I agree about the picture quality being a big factor. Although it's not a unique or new observation, it also doesn't help that much of the scenery in the Vuelta is brown and sand colored while the Giro and Tour are bright and beautiful green with an assortment of other bright colors from the vegetation. In comparison, much of the Vuelta looks like they're racing on the moon.

On the other hand, I've still been watching every day.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Agreed that picture plays a part of it. I truly don't mind Gogo and Steve, but it's nice to be able to pick out riders because you can see them clearly. However, it's MUCH better than no racing at all or internet feeds that have various spyware.

Perhaps not the most epic race of all time, but I'm not complaining. The TdF had to contest with a very epic Giro. Given that some teams are folding, I have a feeling some of these riders will be making some moves to try to attract attention for next year.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The set up of the race provides for much more excitement at the end of most stages when guess what, most viewers are tuning in. The past few years the tour has not been nearly as exciting as the Giro or the Vuelta. Watching riders attack and then attack and then attack again is so much better than everybody marking Contador and waiting for him to make a move. The Tour may be the most grand spectacle as far as viewership and production, but the competition is usually better in the Giro and the Vuelta.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,283 Posts
After the insanity that marked the first week of this year's tour and practically all three weeks of this year's giro, any quote-unquote normal race would seem tame by comparison.

As for the picture quality, for sure it doesn't help, but the vid quality of the giro wasn't any better.

And I like the scenery. Desolate. Untamed. With the occasional castle or stone village to give it personality.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I don't know, I think it's been a darn good race so far, with some great finishing courses.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,948 Posts
Mapei said:
After the insanity that marked the first week of this year's tour and practically all three weeks of this year's giro, any quote-unquote normal race would seem tame by comparison.

As for the picture quality, for sure it doesn't help, but the vid quality of the giro wasn't any better.

And I like the scenery. Desolate. Untamed. With the occasional castle or stone village to give it personality.
I don't know about "normal". Cav has been losing sprints left and right in funny fashion. As opposed to earlier in the season where he was winning every single one.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Nothing better than seeing Cavendish loose a sprint or two!

Great idea for a finish the other day, 20% grade for the last 1k!

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I like the quasi-desert look of the Vuelta so far. It reminds me of SoCal (no wonder the Spaniards wanted it - feels like home.) But wait until they get up north to the Pyranees.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Marc said:
I don't know about "normal". Cav has been losing sprints left and right in funny fashion. As opposed to earlier in the season where he was winning every single one.
Actually, apart from the TdF (and not including the first couple sprint stages there) Cav has not been at all dominant this season, and following his dental problems was not at all strong at the beginning of the season.

·
prosciutto corsa
364 Posts
So far it's been drama on the sprints. I like the bunch sprints when it's anybodies guess. I also like the mountains which start soon.

The picture is eh, but I'll take it.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts