Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently thinking about upgrading the wheelset on my bike. I have Alex R500s with Continental ultrasport tires. I don't want to break the bank and can only find 1 review on the site here. Is anyone using them? Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looking at the XRP comps, they look similar to the Performance Bike Titans or the M28 Aero's in specs. Are you buying from a LBS or Ebay? Warranty-wise I would consider the others before I would ever consider a Ebay seller. Neuvation has great customer service and will bend over backwards to help you and Performance has a almost no questions asked return policy. Neuvations always has sales and the Titans can be had for less than $180.00 otd. Problems or not it's the piece of mind knowing that someone is there if something goes haywire. Ask the Ebay seller a couple of questions and I will bet he will turn you around and push you toward Vuelta for answers or parts. JMO take it for what it's worth.....probably less than my $.02:D

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have the xrp comps. I got them for a little more than 100 on ebay. For the price, they're what you would expect. Pretty heavy, but they seem pretty durable. Good training wheel, bad racing wheel. The hubs seem pretty smooth, though I haven't used them all that long.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In checking the VueltaUSA website they don't list either the starlite or XRP comp. I was going to purchase from an online seller not through Ebay. I saw some nice wheelsets at bicyclewheelwarehouse, probably will go with Mavic rims, 105 hubs and I think the set I am looking at has DT spokes.

I looked at the Performance Titan set, but the reviews on the Performance website weren't that good. I'm currently at 200 lbs working my way to 175 and the Titans don't seem to hold up to well for heavier riders. May also place a bid on a set of Mavic Aksium wheels on Ebay.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Jeff G said:
I'm currently thinking about upgrading the wheelset on my bike.
Unless there is something currently wrong with your wheels, you are using the term upgrade very loosely. And if you know how to adjust the bearings on the Alex, they will spin better than the Vueltas.

I'd probably buy Vueltas instead of the Alexs, but not replace one for the other if the Alex is not damaged.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rogerstg said:
Unless there is something currently wrong with your wheels, you are using the term upgrade very loosely. And if you know how to adjust the bearings on the Alex, they will spin better than the Vueltas.

I'd probably buy Vueltas instead of the Alexs, but not replace one for the other if the Alex is not damaged.
Nothing wrong at all with my current wheels, they are as true as the day I bought the bike and spin like a hot knife through butter. I'm just trying to get a lighter set of wheels without spending thousands of dollars. The R500 wheels have performed flawlessly on my bike and I ride on some roads that aren't the smoothest.

Thanks everyone for the input.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I put the starlites on a bike I was selling. Cost $150 shipped. Put Zero miles on them. Impression: Shimano hubs, lots of drag, not the best bearings I guess. Heavy, but look sturdy, came with a bag of spokes & nipples Overall for the price it was an OK training set. But again, no road time on them so superficial opinion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My friend rides the Vuelta Starlite and I can say they are bomb proof. These are the only wheels he hasn't damaged because of his size. He's 5'7 230lbs. Yes, they are heavy and maybe not the fastest wheels, but if your a large rider, they are the way to go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.