Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bicycle wheel rim Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

I received a set of these wheels yesterday and noticed they have a little hole on opposite sides of the rim on either side of the hole for the tube valve stem (holes appear as shown). The hole doesn't go completely through the rim but is on the machined braking surface. Does anyone know if this might be a defect, or if it is part of the design?

These look like very nice wheels, going on a 1984/5 vintage Specialized Allez SE with somewhat upgraded mech.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
I received a set of these wheels yesterday and noticed they have a little hole on opposite sides of the rim on either side of the hole for the tube valve stem (holes appear as shown). The hole doesn't go completely through the rim but is on the machined braking surface. Does anyone know if this might be a defect, or if it is part of the design?

These look like very nice wheels, going on a 1984/5 vintage Specialized Allez SE with somewhat upgraded mech.
Aliens. Definitely aliens.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, crazy. I've never heard of such a thing, so checked it out and see this is normal in many modern rims. Wonder how long they're typically good.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Wow, crazy. I've never heard of such a thing, so checked it out and see this is normal in many modern rims. Wonder how long they're typically good.
Your wheels are good everything else being equal so long as you can feel & see those wear indicators. Once you can't see or feel them anymore, the wall thickness of the rim has been worn down from braking to the point where it is structurally compromised & is not safe for use.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
You didn't believe me?!? They're good til they're not. Or as Kerry says "How long is a piece of string"?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,437 Posts
Ha! I'm still riding wheels that are 35 years old. Guess I'd better upgrade. ;-)
Years don't mean anything. How many miles is that?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts