Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Twitterpated
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That crash today was a bummer.

I feel bad for (the cyclist who crashed.) It is unfortunate that one crash has forced him to (alter his standing in the race.)

·
Registered
461 Posts
When was the last time the race leader in a Grand Tour crashed out? Definitely a bummer. Anton was classy in the aftermath and I'll be pulling for him next time around.

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
Any word on what actually happened?
The picture on Universal is awful- it looked like he just fell on his own, quickly followed by a catapulting teammate, and then the other carnage (BBox and Astana and whoever was on the side, another Astana and ____)
Man, what a way to lose the red jersey!

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
RRRoubaix said:
Any word on what actually happened?
The picture on Universal is awful- it looked like he just fell on his own, quickly followed by a catapulting teammate, and then the other carnage (BBox and Astana and whoever was on the side, another Astana and ____)
Man, what a way to lose the red jersey!
It looked like the race-lead touched wheels. It was otherwise a clean stretch of nice pavement....unless he slipped on the painted road markings.

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,151 Posts
He said it was a hole or something of those sorts.

I've been routing for Nibali but would rather have had him taken the jersey in a different manner. Not his fault at all, but it's more exciting that way.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
please. if the leader wipes out on a slight downhill straightaway, 5k from the uphill finish, noone should wait.
it is a bummer though. i liked the way this one was coming together. Nothing close to the suspense and performance that Valverde put on last year, fighting Gesink, Cuddles, Sanchez, but this race could be very interesting.

·
Twitterpated
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
il sogno said:
Where's the big fight over whether the peloton should have waited? :rolleyes5:
:) We're slipping in our old age.

Here's a nice quote from Velonews. “I have lived a dream for the past two weeks. I have won two stages and demonstrated that I could lead a grand tour. I am trying to take things as calmly as possible. Things have taken an unexpected turn and there’s nothing I can do except try to come back even stronger next year,” Antón said. “I’ve taken some blows before in this life and I know how to handle them. I promise to come back next year even stronger.”

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Where was Euskaltel right before the base of the climb? They should have been drilling it at the front keeping the red jersey at the front. Instead they were somewhere in the middle when Anton spilled.:mad2:

·
Registered
766 Posts
T-shirt said:
:) We're slipping in our old age.

Here's a nice quote from Velonews. “I have lived a dream for the past two weeks. I have won two stages and demonstrated that I could lead a grand tour. I am trying to take things as calmly as possible. Things have taken an unexpected turn and there’s nothing I can do except try to come back even stronger next year,” Antón said. “I’ve taken some blows before in this life and I know how to handle them. I promise to come back next year even stronger.”
I was impressed w/ his riding and how he is handling this as well, I''ll pull for him in future.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
BAi9302010 said:
When was the last time the race leader in a Grand Tour crashed out? Definitely a bummer. Anton was classy in the aftermath and I'll be pulling for him next time around.
happened to rolf soerensen

1 - 12 of 12 Posts