Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HutaroWho? Yauheni Hutarovich of FdJ caught and passed Cav just at the line. I bet that supprised Cav as much as it did me.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
hutarovich has been a young prodigy for the past three years. there was a pretty good article on him a few years back in one of the brit mags.
apparently he's coming into his best ever form and living up to expectations. he blew their doors off enough to make me think he'll be tough for the entire vuelta, maybe more.
very impressive.

·
waterproof*
41,610 Posts
yah very nice to see Cav pull a classic double-take!

that's the thing about being a gunslinger (sprinter)... there's always some young buck gunnin' fer ya.

·
Albert Owen
1,041 Posts
That was funny!!
Poor Cav - easily dealt with Farrar and then Hutarovich pops up out of nowhere. He isn't a "young buck" though, he's two years older than Cav.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Who? wha... Huh?

I saw Cav pulling past Tyler and Ali Jet and thought it was the usual formula... But then! Wow, I guess that's why they race 'em and we watch 'em.

I do remember Gogo mentioning earlier that Cav gained weight after le tour, wonder if that was a factor?

·
Albert Owen
1,041 Posts
Kvonnah said:
I do remember Gogo mentioning earlier that Cav gained weight after le tour, wonder if that was a factor?
I don't think so. He thought he'd done enough, took his foot off the gas and got caught out. His look said it all - "What the ****!!!" :D

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
Cavendouche was busy blocking Farrar's line and didn't see Hutarović coming from behind :D

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Alright, I want some more opinions...

Why did Cav get nipped at the line?

Did he gain weight? (and what are we talking, 3 pounds?)

Did he step off the pedal since he thought he had it?

Did he simply not see H-man?

Did H-man get a nice slingshot off him?

·
Registered
386 Posts
nayr497 said:

You forgot option 6 - for one day at least, Cavendish wasn't the fastest rider in the peleton. It isn't always the favorite making a mistake. Sometimes it's about somebody else being better.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nayr497 said:

Cav's weak spot is a 200m+ sprint into a headwind. That was the situation on stage 2. I have seen him get beat like that before. I watched Francesco Chicchi win over Cav like that in St. Louis a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
94 Posts
this might be a non-factor, but did anyone else notice how the finish line wasn't clear?

it might have been that cav eased off after the first false finish line about a meter before the actual finish line. it could also be that he wasn't delivered to his sprint 200m from the finish by a lead out train and had to start early giving hutarovic a nice leadout.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
^ These all help make things a bit clearer...or at least provide some possibilities I suppose. Maybe he just wasn't the fastest. Maybe the sprint was too long. Maybe the heat hurt him. Maybe he didn't see the line clearly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts