Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a pair of vuelta xrp comps on ebay a little more than a year ago to replace my crappy alex rims on my fuji cross comp. I recently got a scott plasma with neuvation aero 2s on it. I'm interested in putting the aero 2s with pro race 3s aside for race days, and sticking my xrp comps on the plasma for a heavy set of training wheels. I tried switching the cassettes the other day and had no luck with the 105 10 speed on the vueltas, it was too loose and the chain would drop off the cassette in the smallest cog. The vueltas work fine with the 9 speed SRAM cassette from the fuji, however. Having not worked with a lot of different bike parts, I am wondering if this cassette looseness is typical behaviour for a wheel/hub that is not designed to be used with 10 speed? I believe the XRPs were advertised as 10 speed compatible, but maybe I'm incorrect.

If indeed the wheels aren't compatible with 10 speed, is there any correction I can make in the ways of spacers or something of the sort? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
"it was too loose and the chain would drop off the cassette in the smallest cog."

What was to loose? did the cassette move around? Was the locknut tight? if you went from 9sp to 10sp there should have been a washer to remove. is the gear ratio the same between cassettes? there is a difference going fro 12-25 to a 13-29, sounds like the rear derailluer needs to be adjusted. XRP wheels should compatible 9-10 spd.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry, must have been a little unclear. yes, there was sideways movement in the cassette, up and down the hub, like there should have been a spacer. Same cassette, same bike, different wheels. Tried to put the xrp's on the new bike and install the 10 speed on them. They usually have a 9 speed on them that wrks fine. The locknut was tight.

I guess my real question is... what happens if you try to install a 10 speed cassette on a 9 speed hub. Is the 10 speed narrower than the 9 speed?

·
Registered
335 Posts
a ten speed cassette requires a spacer for installation regardless of freehub (as far as I know).
I don't know so far so maybe someone else can comment as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.